Should I drink softened water

Except for the outside faucets, all the water in my house runs through a water softener. The water we drink, i.e the cold water from the faucet in the sink, the ice cube maker in the fridge as well as a hot water dispenser on the sink all run through a Doulton filter. Should I bypass the water softener and run the drinking water directly to the filter? I have read conflicting statements about the health aspects of drinking softened water? Thanks, Richard

Reply to
rgoldste

No.

Conflicts? Buying bottle water at a store is just softened with an RO systems.

My pets drink soft water, none have died from it.

YMMV

Reply to
Oren

If in good health and not requiring a low sodium diet, softened water should be OK.

Reply to
Frank

If you have no problems with the extra salt you get drink it, I stay away from salt.

Reply to
ransley

If your s/w is setup right there is less salt in your water than there is in milk but if you're on a sodium restricted diet you should avoid it anyway.

I don't drink s/w because of the taste. I run the s/w though a ro filter.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

Ditto here. We have a dispenser on the kitchen sink that comes from an RO unit. But in the bathroom, sometimes I need to take meds, so will use that tap water. Definitely a difference, but for half a cup, no biggie. I would not drink softened water in any quantities, or use it for anything important, like beer making.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

wrote

So you came to this group to resolve the conflicts. Thank you for the confidence you have on the folks here to get the right answers!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In most cases, softened water contains between 40-80mg of sodium per litre. To put that in context, ask yourself how many litres of tap water you drink a day and consider that a single slice of white bread contains between 150-200mg of sodium and a can of chicken noodle soup can conatin over 500mg of sodium.

Reply to
Robert Neville