Radiant Barrier insulation

Hello, Has anyone tried Radiant Barrier insulation around the hot water tank? In looking around the house, I noticed the current fiberglass jacket has some gaps and appears to not quite fit the unit (it was installed by previous owners). Would a radiant foil barrier be worth the effort as a replacement (from what I've seen, probably about $40 or so). Thank you, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

I don't have a lot of respect for the radiant barrier insulation for this use. It will help, but I would not expect much.

How much any kind of supplemental insulation on HW tanks is open to question.

During the winter when you are heating your home, little or nothing is gained as almost all the heat that you would save, ends up heating your home. On the there side, in summer that heat must be removed by your A/C.

Most of the cost of most people's hot water is the cost of the water used, not the heat loss from the HW heater. A tankless heater eliminates all of this.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I agree. There is a point of diminishing returns where adding more insulation in, say your ceiling, won't pay for itself in your life time.

But, a tankless heater will not cure everything. Like the length of her showers.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

True, I did not mean to sound like I was recommending the tankless, only offering it as one alternative that would make a serious dent to standby losses. Like any choice there are good and bad features.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to see if I can retrofit the insulation jacket...since it wouldn't cost anything and I may just experiment with/without using it as a control (also factoring cost of gas, season, etc.).

Have a Happy Holiday! Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70