CF road test

Finally got some CF's in format other than typical spiral at the local Home Despot... which was timely as one of the spirals in the bathroom had quit working, and they'd pissed me off anyway since the bathroom light fixture was designed for the big round globe light bulbs.
First ones I saw were some "Bright Effects" 40W equivalents, located prominently in a sale rack. so I bought some, got them home, and was very, very disappointed. Warm up time could be measured with a sundial, initial brightness was approximately "night light" and there was noticeable variation between the color of the three bulbs I'd installed. Highly not recommended.
Had to go back to the store to get some other stuff and saw that they also now carry "n:vision" brand CF's also in round bulb format. picked up some 14W "60W equivalent" n:visions, much better. these are almost full brightness at turn on and the color is nice and even.
both are made in China and I have not seen any other options available in this format.
just thought I'd share...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

You returned the crap ones I hope? Shows the tremendous quality variations between different factories in China, some quite good, some total crap.
Nate Nagel wrote:

Have you tried any of these:
http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_list.asp_Q_intSubCategory_E_780
They are only available at real light bulb places, though.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

No I haven't, although I also haven't had to buy many. The PO of my house replaced 90% of the lights with CFs before I moved in so the only ones I've had to replace are the very few that have quit working, or the ones in the bedrooms (which were 25W incandescents for some reason unknown to me)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Was your Consolidated Freight gasoline or diesel? Sometimes diesel ones need a bit of warm up time. Yeah, like you say, the diesels don't run very well cold.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.