ceiling light won't turn off

ok, I had a room painted and the guys had to disconnect and reconnect a ceiling light. I noticed there were 3 wires in the electrical box in the ceiling. After they reconnected the light it won't turn off. I will buy a new switch tomorrow, but I think the problem is in the light, not the switch. What should I look for? I have never heard of this happening.

thanks!

Don

WHY??? It's only .79, but WHY??? Sounds like they didn't go anywhere near the switch!

, but I think the problem is in the

Yellow Pages: Electrician. Send your painter's the bill.

No problem.

OK, seriously...if your first inclination is to replace the switch, you have no business being anywhere near that light fixture. Seek professional help (or a friend or relative who knows how to do basic home electrical work).

TP

Reply to
Tom Pendergast

For the sake of argument and my own knowledge, just how could they wire the light to stay on all the time with the switch not working? I'm not saying that is not the problem, because it pretty much obviously is, but just how could they do that, if the switch breaks the circuit? Unless of course there is more to the story, and the recommendation of an electrician is a good one.

Thanks in advance,

Maury

Reply to
MF

They disconnected the light, but not the switch? What color are the three wires in the box? (Three wires or three cables (with multiple wires)?) Which wires are attached to the light? Is it a single switch or a 3way? If a single switch, what color are the wires attached to it?

With a little information, you might get some help.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

In alt.home.repair on Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:55:20 GMT "MF" posted:

Maybe the switch was in the neutral wire instead of the hot, and they wired the light to the hot and the ground wires. And wired the ground of the light fixture to the neutral wire from the switch.

I think that would do it.

My house was only 4 years old when I got it, and the two way switches in the entryway didn't work the one by the door turned the light on and off, but only if the other switch was in one of its two positions (up or down :) ). I couldn't keep it in my head and I had to make a drawing to figure out how it was wired now, and which two wires to exchange to make it work.

The electrician had bought one of the houses (or been paid for his services with one) and for some reason I mentioned it to him. Stupid me, I was thinking he would appreciate feedback, but he refused to believe he had done it. :)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

"MF" wrote in news:IKzMa.11105$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Orig. Poster said there were three wires in fixture... Most likely hot, switched and neutral. (Handy for ceiling fan usage even when the light is switched off) If the painters hooked the light up to hot and neutral that would cause the problem.

Marsha

Reply to
Marsha