Case for a dash cam on your car

Page 1 of 2
From Russia, but the videos are entertaining...
See the videos at the link in the story: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/
Per HeyBub:

I just googled "DashCam" and was surprised at the breadth of offerings.
Made me start thinking about getting one.
For me, two "Must Haves" are:
- Rotating storage. Maybe using a 65-gig SD card, taking five-minute clips, and - once the card is full - deleting the oldest clip to make room for the latest
- Turns on/off when ignition key is turned on/off.... so storage is preserved in the event of a crash.
Does anybody have experience?
Maybe a forum devoted to dash cams?
--
Pete Cresswell

If you're going to get a dashcam, you should get a flashing light and a uniform, make some police stops, and get some candid video of how the other people react. Great for laughs at parties.

That's easy enough.

Then everyone will laugh. The more laughter, the better the world will be.
BTW, in the first video of the meteorite, if its explosion was 25 times Hiroshima, how come the guy with the dashcam wasn't blown to bits or at least had his car knocked over, after he took the pictures?
He was farther away? The square root of 25 is 5. He was 5 times as far away as bomb radius at Hiroshima?

nd

es

Well if it happened over America it would be used as an excuse to up military spending.
A Hollywood epic would be made. Oh shit, it already has............ Who was it saved the world? Arnie was it?

I heard that John Kerry pushed a button in his office because the Rooskies wouldn't return his call.

These two things are pretty much what defines it as a dash cam. Don't think you need 65 (64) gig chip but it does help to have a higher class one like a 6. Most record continuously but some have g sensors. There are even GPS ones that also record location.
This guy on youtube reviews some of them. It a good place to start. He is British but all the cameras should be available in the US (assuming you are even in the US)

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw

Per Cliff H:

Thanks. That got me started nicely.
As you observe, they all do rotating files and on/off with ignition.
Some even do a "standby" mode where they're just sitting there looking for motion - as when the vehicle is parked - and wake up fully when motion is detected.
I'm probably over thinking this as usual, but now I'm looking to see if anybody has remote or mirrored storage - my assumption being that after a crash from which they have to cart me away and tow the vehicle that the dash cam is going to be stolen or impounded.... and if there's an SD card hiding somewhere else in the vehicle the chances of recovering data are greatly increased.
Right here, right now though I'm thinking:
- Low-End: http://tinyurl.com/awb53n7
- High-End: http://tinyurl.com/avffl9m
But the selection is mind-boggling - and there seems to be a lot of little guys taking a certain device and semi-customizing (sometimes degrading it a lot...) it to become their own product - yet named the same or very closely to the original root device.
I'm thinking I could care less about "Parking" mode, yet I want the clearest, highest-rez that I can get.... which seems to mitigate in favor of devices that have bells and whistles that I otherwise don't really want or need...
--
Pete Cresswell

Based entirely on: "Blackboxmycar is the 1st Authorized Finevu Distributor in North America. Our Finevu CR500HD will be the 1st Official English Version to be sold. Our Finevu CR500HDs are factory built with English software and provided with English manual. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us directly at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com...???

I haven't found anything available in the US that isn't a ridiculously overpriced unreliable piece of shit.
It appears one must move to Russia to get a decent HD dash cam. -----
- gpsman
On 02/19/2013 04:54 PM, gpsman wrote:

GoPro seems to be popular on one of the forums I follow. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but it seems to get more mentions than all the other dash cams combined.
C&D did a comparo last year...
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/shoot-em-up-high-def-action-video-camera-test-feature
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Maybe I did not read deeply enough, but I came away with the impression that the Go-Pro and Countour, at least, were outdoor action cams kludged for use as dash cams. i.e. They both rely exclusively on their own batteries for power.... and I did not pick up any mention of rotating files...
--
Pete Cresswell

Thanks, I've been living in a cave for the last 10 years. -----
- gpsman

Did you noticed that the driver of the car seemed a lot more concerned about the condition of his car than the condition of the truck driver.
I wonder how I would react. I'd like to think I'd check out the other driver first.
Per DerbyDad03:

Maybe it's easier to see on the cam footage, but it seemed to me like the truck driver was in pretty good shape... and the car driver was probably still in a sort of WTF state... Maybe also in disbelief at how little damage has resulted from a head-on with an 18-wheeler. A split second and he might have been dead.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 14:58:39 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

The driver is standing up in the cab. almost looks like a slo-mo video compared to a couple Americans who just crashed.
I'm on a busy state road in the burbs. speed limit is 45, but most folks do 60. I was out in the yard when the neighbor was coming up the road and turning left into his driveway. He came to a complete stop to allow some traffic by, and this kid rear-ended him. The trunk deck flew 40' in the air.
As soon as the airbags deflated this 18yr old kid jumps out of his [his dad's?] car, runs up to the driver of the other car, who is just getting out, and shouts "Look what you did to my car, asshole!".
By the time the police got there he was a little more reasonable- but he got a ticket or two anyway.
at least if the Russian car driver had been angry, I could sympathize.
Jim [here's 13 more minutes of entertainment from Russian highways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E
]

Me, too. I'd want to ensure he was good and hurt.
The big problem is that a lawyer will use your evidence to "prove" to a jury of nitwits any crash involving another motorist was your fault. -----
- gpsman
On 02/18/2013 06:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This is Russia, where life is cheap and it is literally every man for himself.
Jon
DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, the FIRST thing to do is get the names of potential witnesses before they vanish.
for a dash cam on your car:

Wow! Check this one
<http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/
the truck totally demolished that SUV. Unbelievable if I didn't see the video. I wonder what their speeds were.

/02/russian-dash-cams/
Can you imagine if that happened in America? Panic stations!