Can't remove this

Page 2 of 2

Heh.... I feel better now!
--
EA

✖
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 09:31:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Reminded me of the old light swtich / outlet cover ones - we've got a few in our place, three cuts across the head, and a slight circular indent in the center. The cuts are shallow and u-shaped and don't take a screwdriver well.
I've never had one stick in that particular situation, but I usually replace oddball screws/bolts with something more common as/when I find them (I hate "tamper proof" crap).
A hacksaw blade in one of the grooves would probably square it off and deepen it enough to just get a flat-bladed screwdriver in - then ditch it and replace it with something sane...
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 9, 10:33 am, Jules Richardson

That's what I would typically do also, but my guess is that the OP's screws are in a "hole" and not accessible with a hacksaw blade.
I just did a quick interweb search and it seems that all of the bits available are "long reach" bits like the ones at the HF site, implying recessed screws in most, if not all, cases.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't be ridiculous. You can walk into any Ace Hardware or Harbor Freight, lay your money down, and walk out with a full set of security driver tips.
Add pictures here
✖

And you need to know the secret hand-shake. There maybe a decoder ring involved too
Add pictures here
✖
Maybe. I can't comment on that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I add my support to the claims of no authorization required to obtain Tri-Wing bits and screws...
They are NO LONGER considered security screws, they are however an improvement to vandal resistance over standard slotted, Phillips, Torx, Allen and Robertson fasteners... Even the screws and bits with the "security" shafts in them are no longer considered security...
If you are looking for something truly secure and of limited distribution then try this company -- Bryce Fastener of Gilbert, Arizona... http://www.brycefastener.com /
They offer true security fastener products...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
Now, THAT looks good.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yup... Good but expensive... We had issues with people trying to disassemble doors and locks on the loading docks and the panels inside an elevator cab to try and access unauthorized area for a mall I used to work at...
A few thousand of these bolts in several sizes and three different bit sizes to install and remove them and no one could take any of the trim plates off the mortise locksets to unlock them using the stopworks under the trim piece...
Although you can use these screws with a screw gun I would not recommend it, as you can FUBAR the bit a lot easier and often times you are using the fasteners on delicate things you wouldn't want to use a screw gun on in the first place like door lock trim coverplate pieces, coverplate screws on electrical boxes and the like...
If you don't want to buy into something that is totally unique to you, the Penta-Plus fasteners are definitely a step up from anything that claims to be a "security" fastener...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/9/2010 8:21 PM Evan spake thus:

Heh; "Penta-Plus" reminds me of those 5-sided boltheads on top of fire hydrants that apparently can only be loosened with a pentagonal wrench the fire dep't. carries.
✖
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 20:21:03 -0700 (PDT), Evan

You really don't need to use them for every single fastener. Just enough of them among the regular fasteners to prevent dissassembly.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 10, 9:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

..
Incorrect... If you only used one in a situation where two or three fasteners are required, you would encounter a damaged and vandalized device where the normal fasteners were removed and the individual seeking unauthorized entry has tried to pry the panel enclosure loose after unscrewing what they could... If they can not remove ANY fasteners they will have to use brute force methods to gain entry that will be readily apparent...
The cost of repairing and replacing the damaged equipment is usually much greater than the cost of $2-ish per fastener to secure it using the security fasteners...
The point behind using security fasteners is to NOT allow people to put something back together after they have taken it apart to covertly access something...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
Evan wrote:

Not to mention, to intimidate them into not even trying, and going elsewhere. Anti-vandal fasteners will at best slow down a professional thief. But professional thiefs are rare. Much more common is an idiot kid or druggie, and if all the fasteners don't match any of the three tools they brought with them, they may decide that if they can't get in quietly, it isn't worth the trouble or risk.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
: : I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in them. : What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ? : -- : Dell Inspiron : Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz : 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM : Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
They're part of Vista SP1. Upgrade to Windows 7 and you won't have the problem.
Add pictures here
✖
Get Linux, and you can have totally screw driver proof screws.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus