Blinking Oil Light On Cub Cadet

Page 1 of 2
The light kept blinking. Oil level was full and very clean; in fact, the unit had just been thru its very thorough annual servicing just two months earlier. And so it went to the shop where they changed oil and installed a new filter. A note on the invoice said, "Oil light will stop blinking in 3 hrs."
Sure enough, it did stop blinking although much earlier than 3 hrs. What was the cause for the blinking oil light? I was expecting them to say that there was some problem with the oil being pumped into the moving parts, but there's no mention of oil pump failure or anything like that.
On 6/14/2012 11:54 AM, All Thumbs wrote:

It's the "change oil" indicator on an engine timer set for 50 hr intervals iirc. There's no reset other than it times out after roughly 3-5 hrs (why so imprecise and why no reset you'll have to ask someone else; I don't know :) ).
On Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:09:04 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Why is there no reset? Because it's a frickin' lawn mower, not the Space Shuttle.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:09:04 -0500, dpb wrote:

OK, thanks.
Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April, looked clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In fact the total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.
My other Cub doesn't have this time feature; in fact none of them had it.
wrote Re Re: Blinking Oil Light On Cub Cadet:

It certainly looks that way.

Sounds like the oil change light goes off when the engine has 50 hrs. on it. If the new oil looks clean, why do you think you've been shafted? The evidence, the clean engine oil, suggests that you did get the oil change that this service light requested. Probably the service light goes of every 50 hrs.
Dave M.
On 6/14/2012 5:42 PM, Dave M. wrote:

I think he thinks that because the oil had been changed recently before he took it in and he took it in because he thought the light indicated a problem other than simply a timer oil-change light. A probably deemed suitable repair action would have to been to "Notify customer meaning of a blinking oil light and ask if want to change oil".
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:41:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

Exactly.
And to complicate matters, the owner's manual says that the oil should be changed at 100 hrs. Meanwhile, in 4 yrs., they change it every time the unit goes to the shop, which comes to 5 times, 50 hrs.
On Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:28:50 PM UTC-4, All Thumbs wrote:

They are changing the oil because it's part of the annual service schedule, and you keep bringing it back for the "annual servicing."
Who's fault is it that you are blindly paying for this annual servicing?
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:30:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No complaint there; I would just like answers as to why the light keeps blinking. Getting a response from the dealer is like trying to get an audience with the Pope.

The Service Monitor meter contains a service minder function that utilizes the 4-digit LCD display. The letters "CHG" will display followed by the letters "OIL" and then followed by the meter accumulated time. "CHG"/"OIL"/TIME will alternate on the display for five(5) minutes after the meter reaches 50 hours. The display will also flash as described above for five(5) minutes every time the tractor has been started during the maintenance time interval. The interval will occur every 50 hours and will be in effect for two(2) hours ( Example: this feature will display from 50-52 hrs., 100-102 hrs., 150-152 hrs etc...). While the LCD is displaying the "CHG"/"OIL"/TIME letters, the red LED "oil symbol" will also be flashing for the entire five(5) minutes. The meter display will return to normal function automatically after the reminder maintenance time interval of two(2) hours.There is no method of manually re-setting this Service Monitor gauge
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Lt_1050_cub_cadet_change_oil_light_stays_on_after_changing_oil#ixzz1xti32PYO
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:57:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Lt_1050_cub_cadet_change_oil_light_stays_on_after_changing_oil#ixzz1xti32PYO Thanks!! That's exactly what's happening. The model is 2550 and the damn owner's manual doesn't mention a word about it

Another example of people that do up the manuals probably don't actually use the product, and in many cases probobly have never even seen the product they are writing about. And then do the original in Chinese or Indian or Vietnamese, then translate to English and see what you get.
Thank you. I can confirm that this "feature" is not in the owners manual. Now I will not worry about the blinking red light.
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 at 10:45:03 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

The manual is most likely written by the lowest bidder. Yes, I am reading t his array of comments because I too have a blinking oil light with no menti on of the meaning or cause in the manual. I did enjoy reading all other com ments. I was hoping that the "reset" would be something simple like, turn t he key on and off 3 times within 5 seconds and at the same time pat your he ad with your left hand. However, let the blinking have it's way.
--
*Confidentiality Notice: **This message contains confidential information

and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
snipped-for-privacy@retrotech.com wrote:

I heard blinking light means time to change oil. After changing oil, run it couple hours and it'll go off until next time. No means to reset it manually.
Thank you, to all the Cub owners here who took the time with this question. As a recently widowed lady who now finds all this yard work and tractor up keep pretty daunting, it was so helpful to learn that this pesky light stay s on for awhile even after you've changed the oil, and filter. Our local de aler told me that if the light shade on for one, to two minutes after I cha nged the oil, and filter I shoukd turn the tractor off, and call them. They could make a service call, and even haul it in to the shop. $$$$$$ Bottom line.....you guys just saved me a lot of money. Widowed little old lady = easy pickings.
I'd like to thank all of you for contributing to this discussion. The idio t light illuminated on my tractor at 50 hours, so I changed the oil. When the light continued to blink after starting the engine, I thought something was wrong. Luckily, my dealer set me straight when I called--confirming t hat the light will continue to blink for two more hours. It's a little dis concerting to have the light continue blinking after changing the oil thoug h. I even tried disconnecting the battery to see if that would reset it an d that didn't work.
Thanks again. Time to light a cigar and go mow the lawn.
replying to clare, 54chevy wrote: If there is a warning or trigger to change or maintain something, and you follow it, there should be a blasted reset capability so the count down to trigger/notify me again can happen. Why? Because that is what monitors and maintenance notifications are for. When someone else gets on the mower and sees the prompt "CHANGE OIL NOW" they think it MUST be done then try to do it or won't use it. In my case, I worry the oil is low or does need to be changed since the idiot gauge is telling me so. Our mower is used by multiple family members who help us out. Being unable to reset it after the process has been performed is a bad design, counterproductive and annoying. it also depletes resources unnecessarily, time, $ and supplies. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I were this manufacturer. Yes, it's a simple thing; so either remove the darn indicator or create a working capability to reset the darn counter, timer properly.