tile over greenboard around a tub

I have googled for this info, but all I can find are articles preaching that this is completely unaceptable..

Since 1) I have had bathrooms in 5 houses over the last 35 years with drywall backer and never had a problem..

2) This bathroom is only for a guest area in the basement, and rarely used... 3) I have already installed the greenboard 4) If this was a main bathroom, now, I would use cement backer board

I need the info as to how best to cut the drywall, and tile to butt up to the bathtub.

Right now I have overlapped the tub flange about 1/2" with the greenboard, which leaves about 1/2" gap to the tub surface. I was thinking of running a bead of silicon to seal the edge of the greenboard, then tiling over to about 1/8" of the tub, then calking the gap between the tile and the tub.

Does this sound OK ? Thanks for any info or experiences

Ray

Reply to
Ray

edge 1/4 round tile moulding.

Reply to
chaniarts

I would say, green board is just moisture resistant. Might be something better for wet areas. The other thing, there is a backer made from impenetrable material, like a membrane with notches, if used correctly, stops any water or moisture from going back to the drywall. Like a plastic of sort. Not cement. I see it being used on tv.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It will be fine for light use. Good to leave a gap between greenboard and tub so water does not wick up. Fill tub b4 caulking. Use thin-set not mastic. I just did mine with Densamor which has fiberglass instead of paper covering and a water resistant core so no mould will grow. Much easier to use than cement board and almost same cost as greenboard.

Reply to
mark

Hardipanel is easy to use but it is somewhat more expensive. I'd never even try tiling a wet area without it.

Reply to
krw