big big bag

After you're done laughing at this...
I rake up leaves and have wished I had one big huge bag. I tried gluing, stapling and taping a poly sheet at the edges, but it never held. Any ideas?
(PS - I really with we could just burn the damn things like we used to)
Thanks

I use a Toro leaf muncher and empty the bag into a poly 'can liner' from Sam's Club. They are about 55 gallon size and way cheap, IIRC around $9 for for a lifetime supply (several hundred). We get 20 or so into the pickup bed and deliver them to a friend in the country for garden compost. The pay off is an endless supply of zuchini, potatoes, tomatos, sweet corn, etc. etc. Life is good in the Midwest...
Joe

I dump mine over the steep hill into woods across the street.
The pile gets real big by the end of fall and is gone by the end of summer.
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 19:40:17 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Plus, there is "black gold" at the bottom of the hill.

Feel free to bring it back up - it's a *very* step hill. Lots of wood down there I'd like to bring up too, but luckily I've got other free sources for my backyard fire pit.

Those leaves must be valuable. I just pile them into the bed of my pickup truck and drive them to the county disposal area, about 30 miles away. By the time I get there, there are almost none left. I think someone steals them out of the truck while I'm en route, but I've never been able to catch anyone at it . . .

Leaves are valuable since they turn into dirt.
Noahbuddy wrote:

Exactly! Some people treat leaves like they grow on trees!
HeyBub wrote:

leaves up, rather than screw with bags and hauling. Snow came early this year, and leaves dropped late, so I never got the final cleanup done. No matter, since the neighbors didn't either. But the 3-foot high piles are always down to six inches or so by the spring thaw. I don't garden, but the next owner of this place is gonna have plenty of mulch to play with.
-- aem sends...

Gemplers sells a cubic yard size landscaping bag that stands up by itself:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/83434/Landscaping-Bag
Haven't used it, but gempler's sells good stuff generally.
HTH,
Paul F.
okey wrote:

I mulch them in place with the mower fitted with a mulching blade. Some may have some angst for a day or two until it rains and the remaining little chips disappear but I can live with that. Its also good for the soil because it is organic material.

I started with one of these- http://doitbest.com/Dump+Carts-Agri-Fab+Marshall-model-45-0345-doitbest-sku-758549.dib
Then I built 'racks' from 3/4" pvc and plastic hardware cloth to extend the sides another 30". it holds a crap-load of leaves to minimize trips to the compost pile.
I rake most of the leaves right into the cart- then top it off with a pair of Bear Claws-- similar to these, but mine were from Ace & cost $5 (Amazon.com product link shortened)

I love the smell of burning leaves- but it really is easier to let the worms take care of them.
Jim [BTW- are you [fondly] remembering fall or still fighting with leaves? We have a couple feet of white crap covering the leaves I missed.]

Back in the days when I still raked leaves I found it easiest to rake them all onto a tarp and then drag the tarp to a convenient low place so I could dump them. It was a PITA but not as big a PITA as filling bags individually.
Now I don't rake at all. I get on the lawn tractor and mulch them. MUCH easier.

Frankly, so do I. I used to enjoy doing that.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

You need to heat seal the edges. No glue will stick to poly.
An adjustable-temperature soldering iron and a 4' straightedge will work if you get the heat right.

Some of us no longer see the humor in moving leaves around. It's usually a few hundred hours of work per year for me.

I use a 65 gallon wheeled trash can I got at HD. The top is wide enough that the rake fits in the opening.
That translates to about 30 loads moved per year.
I don't think I'd want a bag even if it was bigger. It would be harder to fill and without wheels would be harder to move and wouldn't fit thru my gateway to the back yard.

Too many people around for that solution.

Oops, well it seems that way.
Usually 5 weekends about 8 hours per weekend.
More like 40 hours a year.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:29:34 -0500, Dan Espen

Thanks for the correction. I did the math in my head and wondered why it took you 10 hours to fill that 65gallon can.<g>
Jim

How about a bale bonnet?
http://roundbalecovers.com/balebag.htm

Shred the leaves and make a compost pile, or just make a compost pile. No bagging needed with highest ecology honors.
buy some cheep tarps with the eyelets . sew it up when full..