Best washing machines for reliability & DIY repairs?

Page 2 of 2
I'd urge you to go to your local public library and take a look at February '05 Consumer Reports. Perhaps the library has an account at consumerreports.org where you can look up even more recent ratings.
In Feb 05 they rated Roper most reliable top loader (based on 10K+ reader survey) but didn't evaluate Roper washing machines at all.
Dick Cheney wrote:

"I'd urge you to go to your local public library and take a look at February '05 Consumer Reports. "
(Sears/Whirlpool Washers)
There are different levels of Sears/Whirlpool Washers. Ask a Service Tech for advice on which one is most reliable. We have used the heck out of them, still using the third one in 40 years thru 4 children, last ones twins.
As for Consumer Reports, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in their recommendations, from years of experience, everything I owned was junk according to them but we had very good service such as TVs, cars, washers, dryers, Lawn Mowers, on and on.
Walt Conner
Hotpoint or Hoover are good.
I've owned one washer and it's a Sears. It's worked so far, a bit over a year since I bought it used, but if I were to get another washer there's no way in the world I'd buy a top loader. If I were going to buy one now I'd find a front loader somewhere, discounted, maybe with a cosmetic scratch and/or last year's model.
Dan
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:21:22 GMT, in misc.consumers.house Dan_Musicant

I bought a used frontloader for about $250.00 the shop honored it's warranty when it quit working and because they had trouble finding the problem they ended up replacing almost all the components of my machine. Except for the exterior and the drum the machine is all new.
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:06:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
:On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:21:22 GMT, in misc.consumers.house Dan_Musicant
:>I've owned one washer and it's a Sears. It's worked so far, a bit over a :>year since I bought it used, but if I were to get another washer there's :>no way in the world I'd buy a top loader. If I were going to buy one now :>I'd find a front loader somewhere, discounted, maybe with a cosmetic :>scratch and/or last year's model. :> :>Dan : : :I bought a used frontloader for about $250.00 the shop honored it's warranty :when it quit working and because they had trouble finding the problem they ended :up replacing almost all the components of my machine. Except for the exterior :and the drum the machine is all new.
When I use my toploader I stand over it with the top open and repeatedly jam a stick into the laundry to jostle, move the clothes about, assure good pentration of the sudsy water. It's almost not necessary, possibly, when I do a small load, less so for a medium load, but seems pretty necessary for full loads. When the water level is high, the clothes get almost no movement and the cleaning action is very much reduced unless I use that stick. I also do an extra rinse. I may still do an extra rinse when I get a front loader, but it won't be necessary to use that stick due to the far superior motion achieved by the tumbling of a front loader. Next one will be front loader, my mind's made up!
Dan