Best washing machines for reliability & DIY repairs?

I have found that nowadays most U.S. headquarted consumer companies are shaving pennies everywhere, regardless of the price point of the product to be sold. Such is the nature of a price-sensitive hardgoods marketplace.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Hotpoint or Hoover are good.

Reply to
Phil

Thanks. Am very familiar with tankless heaters. Unfortunately, in most situations (especially retrofit ones like mine), they don't work out economically.

For anyone else who is interested in tankless, State Indistries (a major water heater manufacturer in the US) used to publish a good whitepaper on the economics of tankless heaters. For some reason, they seem to have pulled it, but you can still find it at the author's web site:

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

I've owned one washer and it's a Sears. It's worked so far, a bit over a year since I bought it used, but if I were to get another washer there's no way in the world I'd buy a top loader. If I were going to buy one now I'd find a front loader somewhere, discounted, maybe with a cosmetic scratch and/or last year's model.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

I bought a used frontloader for about $250.00 the shop honored it's warranty when it quit working and because they had trouble finding the problem they ended up replacing almost all the components of my machine. Except for the exterior and the drum the machine is all new.

Reply to
homeowner

:On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:21:22 GMT, in misc.consumers.house Dan_Musicant : wrote: : :>I've owned one washer and it's a Sears. It's worked so far, a bit over a :>year since I bought it used, but if I were to get another washer there's :>no way in the world I'd buy a top loader. If I were going to buy one now :>I'd find a front loader somewhere, discounted, maybe with a cosmetic :>scratch and/or last year's model. :>

:>Dan : : :I bought a used frontloader for about $250.00 the shop honored it's warranty :when it quit working and because they had trouble finding the problem they ended :up replacing almost all the components of my machine. Except for the exterior :and the drum the machine is all new.

When I use my toploader I stand over it with the top open and repeatedly jam a stick into the laundry to jostle, move the clothes about, assure good pentration of the sudsy water. It's almost not necessary, possibly, when I do a small load, less so for a medium load, but seems pretty necessary for full loads. When the water level is high, the clothes get almost no movement and the cleaning action is very much reduced unless I use that stick. I also do an extra rinse. I may still do an extra rinse when I get a front loader, but it won't be necessary to use that stick due to the far superior motion achieved by the tumbling of a front loader. Next one will be front loader, my mind's made up!

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant