Ball valves vs. gas valves

Can a ball valve be used for nat gas? Would like to, cuz the orifice is MUCH larger than a gas valve. The HD guy said No, cuz "gas is corrosive". Heh, but it don't corrode black pipe....
Opinions?
--
EA

Yes it can, if it carries a label that says (WOG) on it
On 1/20/2013 5:37 PM, RBM wrote:

If memory serves me right, WOG means it's rated for Water, Oil and Gas service which is what most of the ball valves I come across are. ^_^
TDD

Ball valves are the only type I use for natural gas. NG suppliers treat corrosive "sour gas" to keep it out of the domestic distribution network. ^_^
http://www.naturalgas.org/naturalgas/transport.asp
TDD
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Depends on the ball valve. If it is WOG rated, it is good for gas. In SOME areas they need to have yellow handles for gas, in other areas red is OK.. Here in Ontario any WOG rated valve is OK. Most are certified for 600psi, which is EXTREME overkill.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 19:19:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not overkill at all. Sure, for natural gas, but it can be used on high pressure oxygen, nitrogen, argon, and on and on. That same valve will find its way to industrial applications

Obviously - but we were talking natural gas applications. The normal conical gas valves are only good for what? 45 psi???
On 1/20/2013 7:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Why? It is good for "gas" which can be something else from residential natural gas and at much higher pressure.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Real good reason not to believe anything a Home Despot Droid tells you.
In rec.crafts.metalworking snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

there's some really sketchy stuff at HD, so the droid may have been onto something when it comes to the stuff they sell.
My favorites are the plastic stemmed water cutoff valves for sinks and toilets that last about 3 cycles before they somehow fall apart. The brass nuts for the compression fittings are so thin and crappy they I've seen some just crack and spring a leak just a few years after installation.
somebody somewhere must be proud of the cost savings they came up with.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"

I am assuming that you are referring to small - 1/4. 3/8. 1/2" valves but as for the category of "ball valves" larger ones, say 2", 4", 6", etc. are commonly used in the gas industry. In fact if memory serves that are the valve of choice over gate valves for handling gas.
--
Cheers,

John B.

What kind of ball valve? Water shut-off valves (PVC, brass) also come in "ball valve".

Heh, rarely is there this much consensus on an issue.... LOL
I'll spray paint the handle yellow, jic... :) In this case, I'm piping in my 15 kW genset, and depending on which table you use, I am sort of squeaking by, supply-wise, so I can use every sq in of orifice I can get. The diff between the two is quite a bit.
--
EA

> --
> EA
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:26:43 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Ball valves are only for using on your balls. Use then to stop impregnating women by shutting off your balls.... :)
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 6:26:43 PM UTC-5, Grokman Grokman wrote:

Well....The Gas is not corrosive but the additive "mercaptan" is a reactive substance due to the sulphur. This is probably what he was referring to.
On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 07:38:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have several ball valves rated for water, gas, oil and air. All od my gas shutoff valves in the house are "ball valves"