Auto parts from eBay

I've had parts go bad. The question in my mind is what you do in 8 months when the cheap Ebay starter fails? Ship it back for exchange, and not drive your car four weeks?

I realize the price difference. The parts I've got from Napa have been good quality, and that's worth the money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got a wiper transmission for my truck. I'd have called it a linkage. Well, in any case..... Mine was also $20.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I won't mind using a rebuilt one. We have a local shop who rebuilds starters, alternators. Often they have one in stock or will rebuild yours.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have a cash account at the local O'Reilly , plus have gotten to be friends with the main counter guy/ass't mgr and the manager . I'm a good percentage below jobber price , and they'll match the WM across the street on oil prices .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I was going to buy from NAPA, they thought they had one, then discovered they didn't. I had to drive twenty miles and get one from O'Riley's. The only other option was a local auto parts store could have gotten one brought in from 100 miles away, and I would get it tomorrow.

Reply to
dangerous dan

The issue wasn't what's on the truck now, the issue was that I don't think the starter on Ebay that you showed is a Denso. IMO, it's likely a cheap Chinese no-name.

Reply to
trader_4

Then in addition to fitment, gotta check the electrical specs. too. Denso is widely used amongst Japanese vehicles.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

OK sounds good

You could buy the contacts too they are cheap

and at your leisure, replace them in the original starter, then you will have a spare ready to go in case the new one doesn't hold out.

Reply to
makolber

The Napa places near me, most of them can get one tomorrow, also. I hope things work well for you, and the new starter gives service for many years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't recall reepacing starter on any car my family owned. Few times replaced alternator tho. We make sure we have good battery. Start with touch of a button or right away turning the key regardless of season.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I had a '66 Chev, solenoid would just click...flip the copper contacts for a new surface and good for another 175K. I worked on a friends Opel, it wou ld fail when it was under a heavy load (cold weather). The field winding in sulation broke-down and would short-out to the case. We used some thin bake lite for a fix.

Reply to
bob_villain

You can get it on Rockauto.com for $82 and up depending on brand and you are dealing with a real company.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Success. That was actually fun replacing the starter. It's been 40 years since I had to replace one. It was nice to have the truck start right up.

I had to go in through the wheel well to get at the bolts, and manipulate it out. The first bolt was so tight I had to use an impact wrench. I don't have any metric impact sockets and was worried the regular socket would break, but everything worked out just right.

What took so long was rotating the flywheel to make sure it wasn't broken. That was slow and tiring.

I got a good look at the alternator while I was under the hood. It's starting to look old and worn. At least it's in a place that won't be much trouble to change out, when it's time.

I'm buying three jumper cables on eBay for Christmas gifts for my neighbors for helping me get it started the other day when it needed to be towed to get started. One of the cables is for me. EBay has a really good price on them, and they come in a case. My neighbors jumper cables were so bad they should have been replaced 10 years ago.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Have a very merry Christmas, and a happy new year.

Reply to
dangerous dan

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Very nice to hear good news, now and again. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Crank-n-Charge is the name of the seller's store, and the name he uses when he posts a listing. It doesn't say anything about what he is selling, anymore than the names Pep Boys or NAPA determine what they are selling.

No contradiction at all.

But is this specific starter on their store website? The ones I found were for alfa romeo, grand marquis

If only one model of starter were following "replaces" I'd agree with you. But I'm not sure it applies when there is a list of various makes that follows.

It also says in the ad, Manufacturer Part Number: 28100-00100-84, 28100-0C010 Interchange Part Number: 228000-3740, 228000-3742, 228000-3743

All of these look like Denso part numbers.

Still your argument has merit.

It's hard to keep a database totally up to date. They may get their individual ads out as quick as possible even if they don't get them totally xrefed, including xrefing the Replacment numbers, in the store listing. Wikipedia searches often don't find pages they actually have. I see this other places too.

How DID he find it?

Reply to
Micky

Yes it does, when he puts Crank-n-Charge in the field of the listing for "manufacturer". The manufacturer isn't the Ebay seller. It would be pretty dumb to be selling a Denso, Bosch, etc and do that. Who does that? Vendors selling cheap Chinese knockoffs as their own house brand. A vendor selling a real Denso would put Denso in that field. And they also would typically put it in the title, in the pic, etc. to show that they really are selling a Denso.

BS. It clearly says two different things in the listing. And from looking at a lot of these listings over the years, when the manufacturer's field has the seller's business name instead of the manufacturer, it's a cheap knock-off. But go ahead and buy parts like that if you like.

Reply to
trader_4

Your post is "confusing" because you have responded to some of what trader_4 said and some of what I said. I am not going to reply in line because of that, I'll just address *my* individual items below.

I don't think you understand what it means when a seller (not just an eBay seller) quotes a manufacturer's part number on their website. It simply means that they are offering a part that *replaces* the following manufacturer's part/part number, not that it is the the OEM part.

In other words, "Our P/N 456123 replaces Denso P/N's 7899879, 123321".

It is not all that odd for a single part number from an aftermarket dealer to replace a number of OEM part numbers. Sometimes the only difference in an OEM part from year to year is who *they* sourced the part - or sub part - from. This could even happen within the same model year. By assigning a different part number to parts from different sources, they can keep better track of costs and quality.

e.g. Maybe "It's hard to keep a database totally up to date."

It has nothing to do with their data bases, it's all about the Search Engine itself.

Search for Denso

"Your Search for "Denso" did not match any products Did you mean: denim"

Now search for denim

"Your Search for "denim" did not match any products"

We know for a fact that Denso appears on their website multiple times. I'm pretty sure that they don't carry any "denim" parts. It's a search engine issue, not a "can't keep the data base up to date" issue.

You asked "How DID he find it?"

I don't know who the "he" you are referring to is, so I can't answer that question. You will note however that I didn't refer you to a page for your specific starter, because I couldn't figure out how to search for it. I searched for Toyota, but that failed; I searched for Denso but that failed too. At that point, I just grabbed a generic starter to try and make my point about the aftermarket vs. OEM part numbers, as well as their crappy search utility.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

dangerous dan was thinking very hard :

Get the EBay starter. If it fails, you can get a refund with the EBay guarantee, if not the vendor.

Reply to
Eagle

dangerous dan presented the following explanation :

"This part has been inspected by our engineers to insure quality, and comes with a rock-solid warranty for your peace of mind. We're not satisfied if you're not satisfied!"

There you go. It's also a 'new' part, so buy it.

Reply to
Eagle

Ashton Crusher pretended :

You pay for shipping with rock auto....