ebay new conditions

Did I read it right ? Under their new conditions they can withdraw funds from my bank account ?

Reply to
fred

Just like your gas/elec/water supplier?

Reply to
Andy Burns

yip

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Presumably only if you've set up a direct debit. And surely only to pay for stuff or if you owe them fees.

Reply to
R D S

Seems to me that it works that way at the moment - PayPal takes the money from my bank account and gives the money to ebay (as it were).

Reply to
RJH

I think eBay are dropping Paypal or at the least setting up their own payment collecting system. I think the only difference is as you suggest, eBay take the monies directly.

Reply to
R D S

but then again so could paypal if you linked your bank account to be paid as a seller...but yes mangled payments requires you to link your bank account even to buy....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

nope

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

So they're robbing from folk then?

Reply to
R D S

In practice it seems to work OK, having sold a few things recently. A couple of days after the sale, Ebay transfers the payment into my bank account.

They used to own PayPal. Sold it for a vast sum. Wonder if their agreement not to set up a competitor has run out? Bit like Screwfix and Toolstation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I think that happened already (last year)

Reply to
Andy Burns

The didn't sell it for a vast sum at all

they demerged it

No money changed hands in this transaction (except to a few lawyers/financiers)

Reply to
tim...

You can be pretty sure someone profited out of it. But quite likely to keep it secret if possible. Especially from the tax man.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

everybody with eBay shares "profited"

because the value of the parts individually is expected to be greater than the whole (I haven't checked to see if it was)

but no actual shareholder money would change hands, unless individuals actually chose to sell their holding on listing day.

This type of transaction is one that is the going to be the most highly regulated of all

The complete integrity of the financial system depends upon it

Reply to
tim...