Anyone modified snowblower exhaust?

My snowblower, probably like a lot of them, has the muffler located right smack in front of the operator. I smell like a refinery after 30 minutes of snowblowing.
Has anyone heard or seen of anyone putting a black iron pipe extension on the exhaust, then putting the muffler on the end of that, in order to extend the exhaust out or up? I'd love to be able to route the exhaust fumes somewhere other than right in front of me.
My only concern would be any possible backpressure created by a longer exhaust pipe.
Darryl wrote: ...

Done all the time -- no problem as long as isn't ridiculously long or a whole lot of bends. One 90 or a couple 45's would be fine. If the sex works out right, I'll try to use street-els instead of 90s as they're a little longer in sweep...

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 08:48:16 -0800, Darryl wrote:

If it's a 2 cycle changing the exhaust could affect performance.
to add to dpb's reply, if you want to go farther, just go up a pipe size. Remember, though, you may need to support what you add. The aluminum block won't like to support a foot or so of pipe and a couple of fittings, plus a muffler.

Maybe an extension, flexible pipe might work. moving the muffler and not designing good brackets could put excess strain on the head.
Since a snowblower is about waist high at the handles and about 2 feet wide at the best, where would you extend the exhaust to, that would not be still in front of you?
You could possibly get a way with an elbow to point the exhaust down. Check your engine, many these days don't have a threaded pipe outlet, but use an unthreaded hole with a gasket and the muffler attaches with two bolts, could make changes more difficult.

Can be done with no problem. Even a 90 degree elbow would help.
Consider flex tubing routed to you pants so you don't freeze your ass off out there.
Why not leave the muffler alone and fashion a 'tailpipe' out of sheet-metal ductwork to direct the exhaust away?