Repairing Snowblower Drive Chain

The chain on my 35+ year old Yard Man Snowblower broke yesterday (luckily when I was almost done getting rid of 14" of snow!). I went to the local hardware store and they were clueless. I'm thinking that I should probably just replace the chain, but can't find anyplace locally that carries #40 chain, which I think is a standard size.

2 questions - First, does anyone know of a source in the North Jersey area or of a mail order source? Second, if I have to buy a length that's longer than I need, how do I shorten it to the size I want?
Reply to
vimsme

It's entirely possible that what really happened is that the master link fell apart. It has a spring clip that can fail after as little as 35 years!

Try a motorcycle shop. They can supply and cut the chain to length for you, or sell you an inexpensive "chain breaker" tool so that you can do it yourself. The cut chain gets connected by a "master link" that can be fastened and unfastened with a pair of pliers. Buy an extra master link as a spare.

If you want the shop to cut the chain for you, you need to know how many links you need, as well as the measurement in inches. Otherwise you could be off by a link. Chains stretch with use.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages, look for listings under bearings, belts, or industrial supply. You should be able to find #40 chain anywhere, it is a popular size. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I agree with Greg all you need is a master link.

Reply to
Randd01