anyone know how to find out who reported my house to a neighborhood services department for city of phx?

Page 5 of 8

Oh....I get it. Church ladies and boy scout leaders. :-)
Never belong to a homeowners association.
Those people are drunk on power.
Very pathetic.
Norminn wrote:

N8N wrote:

I was out in the yard yesterday when a small group of young teenagers wearing gang colors came strolling down the middle of the street, causing cars to stop because they wouldn't get out of the road. All I can hope for is that Darwin will prevail, as cars regularly speed way in excess of the posted limit. This used to be a nice neighborhood, but I digress.
Would you want to go knock on *their* door to discuss the length of the grass or the trash in the front yard?
Sheee-it. I'll call the city.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

That's OK until you've been verbally assaulted a few times by neighbors that don't care to be responsible neighbors, and don't want to hear about it. After awhile you find more effective ways to deal with the problem.
Bob
Tim Fischer wrote:

We have a lot of "little ole lady" neighbors.
And they are notorious for calling code compliance for "problems" at the few rent houses around. They make no secret that they called.
But the city is quite fair about the whole thing. CC will then spend a week in the neighborhood writing up everyone for every violation they can find. Most are 30 or 10 day cites, if corrected, are dropped as warnings. CC just wants -everyone- to know they were there ;-)
Two years ago, the city fired half the CC staff for writing multiple cites for the same violations and cites for places they never visited. Happened right after mayor insisted that CC double the citations. I think the punishment was mis-applied ;-)
She did help eliminate neighborhood communications, everyone replaced the 4' chainlink fences with 8' wood fences. (So CC can't see in backyards anymore) Used to spend many hours talking to neighbors over the backfence. Aahh, don't make much difference anymore, I can't speak Espanol ;-)
So, don't let the paranoia get to you, they were there to get your neighbor to start with!
-larry / dallas

Oh this is simply silly. "One little old lady ruins neighborhood communications". Are you saying that the 8' wood fences (2 feet over code in my area, BTW) all had to be all the way around, were absolutely necessary, and none of the neighbors had phones or could walk next door?? (Let alone the option of cleaning up and keeping the chain links.)
Oh - I see - prejudices got in your way, not any little old lady and fences. Not much of a recommendataion for your point of view :-/
It seems that what some folks want from neighors is that everyone can do what they damn please. Maybe it works in certain places where pretty much everyone is operating the far side of the law anyway. As in, you let me let my dogs run loose; I look the other way if you burn garbage or build without a permit.
Banty
Banty wrote:

no, the little ole ladys are great! It was our mayor pushing CC to cite everything that caused our neighborhood to become a fenced gated zero lot line area. (make that most of the city)
prejudices - where did you read that? I like my new neighbors, do stuff for each other all the time. Just difficult using handsignals, but next door family is becoming very conversant in English and help with talking to the other next door neighbor. Ironically, the 25% Hispanics that settled in my neighborhood around 1920s don't think much of the new arrivals. go figur. btw, if they spoke German, we wouldn't have this barrier ;-)
obviously, your country is different.
-larry / dallas

Well, if you're from Dallas, I was born and bred in your country ;-) (though not your town) and sorry if I mistook your reference to language as the reason you gave to give up on your neighbors.
But now I'm wondering what your point was. Wasn't that there was an "old lady" who was calling people in a lot, getting everyone so uptight they fence off their yards and it hurt neighborhood feelings? Now it's the town you're blaming?
Banty
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What difference does it make? Are you guilty of the infraction or not? If you are, you could make better use of your time fixing the problem rather than looking for the one who reported it.
I've turned in some of my neighbors over a long period of time. It generally ends up being the same one or two all the time. They just never catch on that grass should be less than waist deep. It's not like I don't wait several weeks while the grass grows before I report it, hoping they'll eventually do the right thing. Some people are just too dense to take the hint.
I'd hate for them to find out it was me. As emotional as they get, they might come over to my house trying to hurt me and I'd have to shoot them. Better for everyone if they didn't know. Better for everyone if they'd keep their yard cut.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

I can see you're new at this. You go over to house and shoot them while they're in their yard. With waist deep grass it'll be a while before the bodies are found. :)

.....or eaten by crows. :-)
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message wrote:

Sometimes, there's no talking to people about the most reasonable, simple things. The elderly lady across the street from me has a pair of billion watt floodlights on the front of her garage. They go on with the same switch that works the inside garage lights, which is where she keeps her recycling bins. Occasionally, she forgets to turn them off, and the floods were installed by a monkey: They're pointed straight out. The illuminate my bedroom (yeah - I have curtains) enough to actually read. Sleeping is impossible when they're on.
So, one day, I went over to ask if I could adjust the aim for her. The woman goes over the edge, telling me "I never use those lights, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I've lived here 50 years and I've never had a complaint. You've got some nerve bothering me like this!" Her son, who was visiting, comes to the door and says "Ma...if you never used the lights, why would he be asking about them?" She points to the post light in the yard and says "I need that light on. It's for security and I do NOT want you touching it!" Her son says "Ma...not that light - the floodlight on the garage". Anyway....he waited for her to take a nap, ran to my house, borrowed a wrench and stepladder, and fixed the problem.
Sometimes, it's just not worth trying.

??!?
But you just told us about a case where it WAS worth trying....
Banty

Yeah, but had the son not been there....you know what I mean. He left a day later.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

That one might have been time to get out the pellet gun. If the son hadn't been there to see reason, I'd have no problem whatsoever with finding a solution to my satisfaction. The old hag probably never would have even noticed.
I'm so glad my biggest problems around here are overgrown vegetation and mosquito control.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

I was considering just walking over there at night and unscrewing the bulbs just enough to kill the light. I consulted with my other neighbor, a sensible man who likes beer. He said "Burp....yeah. I like that idea".
bb gun.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Two points you omitted.
What you did.
Who turned you in. (you know or have a pretty good idea)
Steve
1
Groups:         alt.home.repair Not yet rated Rating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author
WE/My roomate got a notice about building without a permit. We haven't been building anything, So we ignored the notice. Then, BAM! We Must tear down the Carport cover which is made with steal beams 14ft tall and 40ft long. It came with the house when she bought the house. It turns out that it is no where near code and was not permitted therefore we have to remove it..
SAY WHAT??? That's Crap. It's already there when the house was sold. If there is a problem shouldn't the city have dealt with that when previous owners constructed it? Definately it should not have been allowed to sell. The house was sold under the prentenses of being legal. What do we do?
Reply Rate this post: Steve B wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Contact a property lawyer, perhaps he or she will advise you to take it up with the town. There may be disclosure laws in your area which will give you recourse to pursue the sellers. Again - property lawyer.
But - still, my question is - what possible good or value is there in knowing who "turned you in"? Know that I know the violation, I think there's a pretty good chance someone in the building department noticed it while driving by. Are you going after him about that??
Banty