Anyone have a good experience with Black & Decker lately

Page 4 of 4

Ditto. My B&D coffepot's heating plate rotted out after 9 months or so, and the little valve thing on the basket that allows you to get a cup while it's brewing leaked like a sieve after 2 months.
On 12/6/2004 11:51 AM US(ET), JW took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I called B&D and they told me to cut off the power cord as close to the machine as possible and send it to them. I did, and they sent me a new coffee maker. I saved the old pot and other parts for spares.

I tried calling them, and the rep stated that if it still was functioning there was nothing they could do. I told him that it was the last B&D anything I'd ever buy. Like he cared...
On 12/7/2004 9:52 AM US(ET), JW took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

appliances. It had replaced a similar GE coffee maker and the only difference between the two was the B&D label. Perhaps they still had the GE mindset at the time.

Should have called back the next day and said it was completely broken, likely they'd never even check.
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 05:55:04 GMT, "Fred"

Growing up, everything my dad ever bought made by black&decker broke way too early. He swore he never bought b&d again and hasn't Makita is his preference.

My B&D battery operated drill worked for about an hour then it went to the trash bin which is about as good as Sear's Craftsman drills.
With that said, B&D foldable table (Workmate) is extremely useful and couldn't go without one on a jobsite, the old professional 10" chop saw is pretty good and could take a lot of abuse and it would be hard to find a better circular saw than the worm drive B&D.
Black and Decker went down the toilet when DeWalt bought them out.

I'm pretty sure B&D bought DeWalt, not the other way around
B&D made or bought Dewalt B&D has been in the toilet since 1970

B&D mainly targeted the crap market years ago with their own brand tools. They bought DeWalt some time around 1970 and left them run themselves. In the late '80s B&D was making industrial-quality tools again, but no one would buy them because of the repuation. So they shut down DeWalt's stationary tool line and started selling industrial portable tools under the name. They also bought ELU and sold some of their tools under the DeWalt name. These days very few to none B&D or ELU tools are still in the DeWalt line. All original designs.
GTO(John)

According to the corporate history Black and Decker bought DeWalt in 1960.
See:
http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/about.asp?mktid=2&lid=1&about=&ToolSectio n Other brands they own are Price Pfister, Kwikset and Emhart.
Clearly the B&D tool line is a low end line and should be compared to other low end lines like Ryobi, Harbor Freight etc. etc. People comparing B&D performance to DeWalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable etc. makes no sense. It is like paying for a Toyota Tercel and expecting a Lexus.
Black and Decker itself makes this distinction on its home page where it refers to the B&D line as a consumer line and the DeWalt line as a "high-peformance" line.
They state:
"The Power Tools and Accessories segment manufactures and markets consumer power tools, accessories, electric lawn and garden tools, and electric cleaning and lighting products under the Black & Decker brand, and high-performance power tools, accessories, industrial equipment, laser products and air compressors under the DEWALT brand."
See the section on business segments at:
http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker K&script!00

Nobody's comparing anything. 3 out of the 4 B&D small power tools I have bought in the past 5 years worked for less than 3 months each under normal conditions. I don't think it's too much to ask that a product actually WORK THE WAY IT WAS ADVERTISED!???

This is just B&D's way of saying "we told you so" and trying to prevent unhappy consumers returning the products when they fail. Lazy or passive people won't take the time to return a $30 item if it has worked for 2-3 months. They figure, "hey, I did get 2-3 month out of it, so that's OK."
I have had good experiences with B & D products. They are certainly not commercial grade tools, but they seem to be at least a little better than the typical consumer crap otherwise available, mostly. It varies with the item. I just look at the options and try to pick the best one. If it appears to be B & D, then so be it. Thus far I have found them to be acceptable consumer grade products.
Leonard
wrote

A good motto for them!!