Any idea of cost to run water line to my fridge?

Page 1 of 2

Can anyone tell me around how much I can expect to cost me to have a plumber come and install a water line from under my sink to my fridge? The pipes are all copper and I'm pretty sure he will have to cut the cold to put in a tap for the line that will run to the fridge.
I know it will vary but I'd like to know what to expect (ballpark).
Thanks in advance.

MP wrote:

He will very likely put in a self-piercing "saddle valve" which requires no soldering.
To avoid floods later on, insist that he run 1/4" copper tube, not plastic.
If you're the least bit handy, it's a DIY job.
How much for a tradesperson? $50 to $100 to drive up. That much more for labor. Maybe someone will do it for a $20 bill?
Jim

You probably won't get a plumber to drive to your house for less than $100, plus some parts and a half hour labor. It is not a difficult job so a "handyman" type of guy can do it for about half the cost of a plumber.
The real trick here is routing the line from sink cabinet to fridge. If it is a long way and other cabinets, it may be a real PITA. If the fridge is over a basement with open ceiling, that may be a simpler route to take.
Simply turn on your faucet and you get water. Mysterious!
MP wrote:

recently, had a plumber do it. The plumber rec. using hot water because it is supposed to make more clear ice cubes. I never notice whether they are clear or cloudy.

I did it myself over 10 years ago with plastic tubing and the self piercing tap, never had a problem, very easy to do. I wouldn't bother with copper, don't know anybody that has done that, nor anybody with a leak.
-Jim

My humidifier hose sprang a leak, and my friends ice cube hose did also. Fortunately she was having a party in her basement when it happened, or at least when the water started dripping through.

I've seen a couple leaky plastic lines. They wear through much easier, and also easier for pets to chew through the line.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Mine just sprang a leak, after a few years. No rubbing, no sharp curves, and no pets, especially on the basement ceiling. :)
Don't laugh -- I do have friends whose cats inhabit the cellar ceiling.
Thank you very much for the field report. I've believed in copper water tubing, and now I've got another reason why.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

In my kitchen using either line would result in cold water. My water heater is about 50' away. The ice tray would be full long before hot water would fill the line.

The water would be cool in the line but should still make clearer cubes. Gases are driven off the water when it is heated and very little can be reabsorbed while the water is in the pipes.
Cam
snipped-for-privacy@beer.com wrote:

Really? Where do those gases go when they're "driven off"?
--
Regards,
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:36:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Gas heaven.
snipped-for-privacy@beer.com wrote:

Boil the water in an uncovered pan and you'll release the dissolved gases and get clearer ice cubes.
Heat the water in a fully enclosed heating/plumbing system and the gases will still be there.
The basic premise is false.

HUGE mistake IMO. Hot water tanks contain sediment that taints the taste of the water and can add unhealthy minerals to the water. The water can taste downright nasty.

On Jan 31, 1:54 pm, Bill snipped-for-privacy@no.address wrote:

I was thinking about the taste issue too. Not to mention, it's a pretty stupid waste of energy to be running water through a heater, then routing it back to a refrigerator that is going to turn it into chilled water and ice.

On 31 Jan 2007 11:46:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It's definitely backwards. One should run the water to the water heater through the refrigerator first.
:)

replying to MP, Ion Dorse wrote: i do these all the time i charge 85.00 an hour 50.00 trip fee if its far and the hardest part is going through multiple cabinets, plastic line is far better than copper and will not leak. im a handyman and charge 85.00 to 150.00 hourly and get it all the time,cant keep up with work.