Antifreeze? Where did it go?

Page 1 of 3
My old van seem to use anti-freeze like it's soda pop. I even had my mechanic check to see if there's a leak somewhere, and he didn't find a leak. So, does it just get used up and evaporate, or some other explanation?
Today, I filled up the radiator, plus I added more to the overflow container. It took it quite a while before it finally put out any heat from the vents, so at least my heat is working again.
--
Maggie

On 12/2/2015 1:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

Could be boiling over (stuck thermostat). Or, could have a bad gasket. Any signs of it in your motor oil??
On 12/2/2015 2:05 PM, Don Y wrote:

I just checked the oil and it looked like oil should look, so I don't think so.
My mechanic said he checked everything because I put it in the shop specifically because I thought it had a radiator leak somewhere.
The thermostat gauge moves from cold to warm(er) as the engine warms up, so that appears to be working as far as I can tell. The mechanic checked that thing, too.
--
Maggie

On 12/2/2015 1:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

You need to look at the *drained* oil to see what sorts of stuff puddles on top. Looking at the dip stick is like trying to decide how many people are at a party by looking through the keyhole.
[OTOH, there's some stuff you can use to check for water in *fuel* -- by running a dipstick into the tank. Not sure if it works for oil, though]

It's not the *gauge* but the actual thermostatic VALVE. Usually located at the top of the block.
Don Y wrote:

Nope , if there's coolant in the oil it will form an emulsion that closely resembles grease . Other than that , antifreeze has some serious corrosion problems with main and rod bearing inserts . Doesn't take a whole long time to blow up the motor .
--
Snag

Particularly on 3.8 Fords. 2 tablespoons of antifreeze in the oil for half an hour will make the sucker knock - and virtually impossible to patch up.
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 13:13:51 -0700, Don Y

If the temp guage isn't going high it is inlikely to be overheating. They will usually "bang" and make strange noises when they overheat too - and the engine will "ping" under load when hot.
The biggest "tell" for antifreeze (or water) getting into the oil is a white foamy deposit on the filler cap.
Anhydrous copper sulfate is white and will turn blue in the presence of moisture but it doesn't work well in oil unless you can get it to the bottom of the sump.
That's what was in the "waterchek" paste we used on the dit sticks for the tanks at the gas station eons ago.
On 12/2/2015 8:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I saw the oil cap this morning when I topped off the oil when I added the antifreeze and didn't see any why foamy deposit on the cap. I guess that's good news.
--
Maggie

Muggles explained :

How often do you have to add oil to that engine?
On 12/3/2015 10:38 AM, Eagle wrote:

The oil leak is just enough to be irritating, but not enough to have to add oil in it too often. I just added oil this time because it was just a tad below full and I was already adding windshield washer fluid and antifreeze.
--
Maggie

on 12/3/2015, Muggles supposed :

I guess the Taurus will have to sit in the drive then. lol
On 12/4/2015 5:09 PM, Eagle wrote:

Hey, if you want to just give it away .... LOL
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote :

:D
On 12/2/2015 2:13 PM, Don Y wrote:

ok I'm starting a list on what to look for. Thanks.
--
Maggie

On 12/2/15 3:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

If an external leak is not obvious, and the oil is normal, then most likely coolant is leaking into a cylinder and being burned out the exhaust.
Have your mechanic do a compression test to look for a blown head gasket.
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 3:15:29 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:

and pressure test the cooling system.
replacce radiator cap with one that caan be pumped with pressure. pump to say 30 pounds, then let it sit and see if pressure drops
had a van once that lost coolant, it was perfect when checked, but lost coolant when hot
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 3:15:29 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:

or it is leaking onto an exhaust pipe and evaporating. Had a Taurus that did that, and you could smell it easily.
Mark
On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 12:33:41 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Can't get into the exhaust without going through the engine - head, block, head gasket, or intake manifold gasket. On 3.0 (or was it the old 3.8?) Taurus the timing cover gasket was a major leak risk
Retired wrote :

A contaminated spark plug would do the same thing.

That is a possibility but will cause the exhaust to smell "sweet" and usually cause the engine to run rough, particularly on a cold start after a good warm run.