Where did this go?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote: > Our old wooden garage door is not in good shape. Saturday we went and had a look at the Clopay doors at the local HD and got a price including installation. In the course of conversation I said, "Why Home Depot? You're not the only people who sell Clopay. According to the Clopay Web site, sells their doors too." HD guy says, "If you buy from us, they're the people that do our installations anyway." >

Today I went to the other store and got a significantly lower price (including installation) for what is in all material respects the same door but with a different model number -- and they don't use (because they don't recommend) the EZ-Set spring system that can be adjusted with a power drill. > > So two conclusions: > > 1. Buying from HD -- and the same quite likely applies to Lowe's as well -- doesn't necessarily mean that you get some dumb-ass lowest-bidder installer rather than somebody who knows what (s)he is doing. > > 2. Buying from HD -- and the same quite likely applies to Lowe's as well -- doesn't necessarily mean that you get the best price. > > Perce

I notice a great price difference between two HD's 20 miles apart in different towns. The same goes for the availability of low priced items which are absent in the higher priced store.

A recent experience I had is I needed to replace the circulator on my wood boiler. Went to HD in local town, nothing under $100.00. Went to next town to Loews, nothing under $100.00 there either. But the HD in the same town as Loews had a model for $80.00 and another for $65.00. It they were quality pump makers.

I think the local managers can do pretty much what they want at HD.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I have three Home Depots each about 4 miles from my place (plus another 4 within 20 miles), while many products are the same, each store seems to stock items that the other stores do not. Which makes a lot of running around to get what you want despite the stores being so close.

Reply to
EXT

buy

What was the warranty on the non HD place quite often the HD gives better warranty, at least that is what we do at Rona in Canada.

Reply to
jim