Air Conditioner replacement help

I've gotten several quotes on replacing my air conditioner, it leaks R22 after about 2 weeks is empty. Several techs have suggested replacing both the internal and external units.
I've gotten several quotes around 4000-5000 dollars to replace and install a new unit.
I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model)
My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they are on the premises?
Is this a job I could do myself? Just solder to the existing pipes and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system...
Anyone ever install a system to replace a existing one and have any advise?
I'm VERY good at repairing things from motors to electrical/plumbing. I have a metal lathe and milling machine, welder etc, so I'm handy and not afraid to try something
Thanks!

NO, you can't do it if the system has to be charged. You need an EPA license to do that work and the fines are stiff. Goodman is a low end brand.
ealbers writes:

Brazing, not soldering. Requires a purge gas inside the lines to avoid oxidation.
You can get the EPA certification at http://epatest.com /, then buy about $1K worth of vacuum pump, gage set, R-22, and other tooling to fill it yourself.
Potential for foul-up of the first try is large. I do it myself and it is well worth it to maintain the many A/C systems in my purview. It takes a significant investment and study, but then you'll make it up on the first big job like this considering what the contractors try to charge you.
ealbers wrote:

The new condenser comes charges for usually around 25 feet of refrigerant line. However, the system is probably loaded with air & moisture, also the lines could be lined with the original compressor's oil.
You would need a lot of tools & instruments & tons of technical knowledge to do it right, which you do not have!

Do NOT try it, get your equipment from a reputable contractor that should do the installation right. Study the linked pages so you will know what questions to ask when qualifying contractors to get it done RIGHT! - udarrell
(Solving ESP)

Goodman does not and will not honor warranties on ANY of their equipment purchased off the internet. Anybody that says they will is misinformed or lying.

Depends on too many factors, factors that require eyes on the jobsite of a professional.

Nope, more to it than that, codes being one.

Yep, I do it all the time, but this is what I do for a living. My advise is stay away from buying systems off of the internet and find a reputable company to purchase the system from and do the install also. If you do it any other way you will regret it, mark my words.

That's exactly what is going to get you in trouble.

Al is correct. Goodman specifically states in their warranty that there is NONE on any equipment purchased over the internet. Also, those prices are no bargain anyway, so that if someone does buy the equipment, pay for shipping, and then can actually find a qualified contractor who will install it, by the time all is said and done, the savings will probably be minimal anyway, for a system with NO warranty. Larry
I've gotten several quotes on replacing my air conditioner, it leaks R22 after about 2 weeks is empty. Several techs have suggested replacing both the internal and external units. CY: Might be fixable, but the techs seem to want to replace. I'm not onscene, so I'll take their word for it.
I've gotten several quotes around 4000-5000 dollars to replace and install a new unit.
I see a new unit available online, both indoor and outdoor 4 ton unit for 1800 dollars delivered....(on ebay its a large organization in FL selling them new with warrenties Goodman is the model) CY: Goodman is bargain basement stuff.
My question, how much does it cost to install these units once they are on the premises? CY: Plenty. Contractors TOTALLY HATE customers who supply their own materials. For an assortment of reasons.
Is this a job I could do myself? Just solder to the existing pipes and wire it up to the 240? Then I'd call a tech to fill the system... CY: No, you can't legally do it yourself. And the simple way you describe the hookup shows that there's a lot that's outside your experience. Most techs won't get within five miles of a home owner hooked up system, or they will charge a fat premium cause they know it's gonna be a total mess, and you're going to want them to use their wisdom and knowledge and abiltiy to fix your screwups.
Anyone ever install a system to replace a existing one and have any advise? CY: I've been installing AC for six years, and I advise you to have a HVAC company do it from front to end, and let them supply all the parts.
I'm VERY good at repairing things from motors to electrical/plumbing. I have a metal lathe and milling machine, welder etc, so I'm handy and not afraid to try something CY: If you're determined to try this, I assure you that you'll need at least six months of apprentice with an existing company before you can do one of these. And a couple thousand dollars of equipment to do it legally.
Thanks!
Richard is right. If you have confidence in you're repair ability I would take the time to learn about the standard air conditioning and refrigeration cycles and get yourself a 608 Type I certification. I think its only like $25 to take the online test, which allows you to service small AC appliances and handle their respective refrigerants. I got mine at epatest.com, which has more info for you than I have right now. Compared to the thousands of dollars to replace it, I think its worth considering.
Good Luck!
ealbers wrote:

On 11 Nov 2006 13:49:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you think having a 608 makes you an hvac expert then you have a lot to learn. Just the tools alone to change out an ac run into the thousands of dollars.