grout or cault tub line

I've gotten 2 different answers from 2 contractors I talked to. Is the seal between the tub and the tile floor in a bathroom to be grouted, caulked or both?

thanks!

Reply to
Ham Sulu

"Both" makes no sense, except when they grout it and then you have to go back over it a year later because it's cracked. At that point it will have "both".

Reply to
jeffc

If the main objective is to complete the installation as quickly as possible, grouting everything is faster. Caulking is a better installation 99% of the time is done correctly.

Things such as framing shrinkage, movement between wall surfaces, type of substrate, tub profile, whether there's a shower head above, etc., must be taken into consideration before committing to grouting to the tub. Caulking is a more sure thing. Search this newsgroup and alt.building.construction for tips on caulking if you're the one going to be doing it.

RicodJour

All the corner joints should be "expansion" joints - ie caulk, or silicon.

Reply to
glenn P

Reply to
jeffreydesign