Air Conditioner Question

Page 2 of 2
On Jun 12, 5:41 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Assuming it is the TXV valve, I agree that it sure looks way over priced to me too. The TXV valve is under $100. The rest is refrigerant and labor. No way I can see it coming up to $1100. The $700 seems generous.
I don't know why she doesn't just get another company or two out there for estimates. I think that's one thing we've all agreed on here from the start.
Add pictures here
✖
Might be able to pump the system down, isolate, and replace the filter drier right before the TXV. Shouldn't take all that much work.
Assuming it is the TXV valve, I agree that it sure looks way over priced to me too. The TXV valve is under $100. The rest is refrigerant and labor. No way I can see it coming up to $1100. The $700 seems generous.
I don't know why she doesn't just get another company or two out there for estimates. I think that's one thing we've all agreed on here from the start.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 13, 9:36 am, "Stormin Mormon"

The filter/dryer is another item on the parts list that should be replaced too. Forgot about that. But they are cheap too, $30?

Add pictures here
✖
Yes, and worth every penny. Be nice if the filter were fairly close to the TXV.

The filter/dryer is another item on the parts list that should be replaced too. Forgot about that. But they are cheap too, $30?
Add pictures here
✖
Dottie wrote:

It may be too late for you, but others might be interested in my experience.
My 10-year old Trane went belly-up during Hurricane Yikes three years ago - we suspect rapid cycling on/off of the power caused by the storm.
Anyway, my son has a neighbor who's tuned in to the immigrant Hispanic community. The neighbor put me on to a chap from Guatamala that does a/c work for an a/c company during the day and moonlights at night. He, in turn, was acquainted with one of his countrymen who makes a market in used compressor units (retrieved from replaced or (I guess) burned down homes).
So, he brings over a two-year old RUDD unit, replaces the kaput Trane, evacuates the system, and recharges everything.
This takes about 45 minutes starting at 8:00pm.
I give him $750 cash.
That was three years ago and everything is still working swell.
I guess the trick is finding that entry point to the underground economy.
Add pictures here
✖

I think the other trick is being very lucky. I wonder how many of these types of repairs go south? And when there's $750 involved, not sure I'd play those odds. I'd also wonder where that 2 year old working compressor came from. Unless a lot of houses burn down in TX, I'd bet a lot of them come from guys stealing AC units. It's a major problem around the country.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:09:51 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I got one from the neighbours when they put a new furnace and AC unit in shortly after the previous owner put a new AC in. I installed it myself and had my nephew, an AC/Refrigeration mechanic recharge it for me.
Add pictures here
✖
I had a elderly friend call trying to buy my leftover window AC units as their whole housse air had stopped working and it was 100 degrees inside their home. I was curious and went over to take a look.
the AC guy had said they needed a new unit. the real trouble? the air filter was totally clogged; I had a compressor with me to blow out dirty machines I repaired. Saved Ooodles of time:) cost zero.
So I blew out the filter:) Which gt the AC working immediately..
I called the company with the bad diagnose and told them what was really wrong:( Told them I was reporting them but gave them the benefit of the doubt........
I fix machines and occasionally over look something simle but never do it intentionally for profit.
A couple months later another friend reported the same sort of issue with that company, they had suggest buying a used AC. probably scammed by another victim.
the 2nd person reported it to a tv station who did a investigative report.
this and some other HVAC companies, stealing was their business model. it got shown on tv and their business went bust. i think they got proscuted, but lost interest and got swamped at work and never followed up.
The OP should check their filters and call for a couple more estimates to assure its not a scam.
call at least one company who has been in business forever, 50 years at least.
companies who rip people off dont last that long:)
Add pictures here
✖

Your first point is a good one. I had used the same repairman before. He knew I carry a gun everywhere and he knew I knew where he lived and worked. He had a proper incentive, if he needed one, to do a righteous job.
As to your second point, I admit to being conflicted.
IF the unit was stolen, then the original homeowner's insurance would have paid for the replacement. In my case, the insurance company declined to replace my defunct unit, so I guess everything averaged out.
Add pictures here
✖