A/C ODU power during winter

Hi, Our winter is very cold. Should I leave the power to the unit on or turn it off? TIA,
On 9/28/2010 7:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

if it's not a heat pump it won't matter. But why would you turn it off anyway?
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

Presumably the idea is to save the few cents of power used by the compressor's crankcase heater.
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:45:38 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

Why would the ODU care? It's not a living entity.
A non living compressor can collect refrigerant in with the oil.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:44:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There better be oil in the refrigerant.

If it is just an ac then it very well may not matter. Most typical outside ac units do not use any power if the contactor is not engaged.
Turning it off would save a small ammount of energy for the crankcase heater (typically 54 watts). If you turn it off, please turn the power back on at least a full day before you use the AC, two days is better. Othewise, compressor damage can occur.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/29/2010 8:43 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

i'm sure the installers don't wait two days to fire up a new install.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 22:22:22 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

I never did. How the hell would you check for leaks/proper operation before you left the job? I sure didn't have the time to come back two days later to fire up a system and my customers wanted their home cooled ASAP.
Makes sense, to me. Might be an issue only in cold weather.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What is an ODU????
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:35:41 -0700, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Out Door Unit.
hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote the following:

Old Dominion University? Olive Drab Uniform? :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:18:44 -0400, willshak wrote:

Our Dying USA ?