Subject Author Posted Replies

Cutting Mosaic Tile Pieces
Anybody have suggestions on how to cut those little (1" x 1") tiles that come bonded to a mesh backer? My area to be tiled doesn't work out to an even inch boundary (surprise!). These seem to be...
5
5

Water alarms
What are the best water alarms? Neede for an air conditioner overflow tray on the attic floor, utility room, kitchen and under an aquarium. Thanks.
9
9

garage door opener
I am considering replacing my garage door opener. The present opener (Stanley) has been in place since 1992 and has chain drive. It has worked well. I see that there are basically two types of...
24
24

Dumb question - bead board over plywood?
I would like to cover the ceiling a porch with something. What is there now are 2X4 appearance "beams" spaced 16 inches apart. I like the look of bead board, but am thinking that the 1/4" thickness...
8
8

What is used as a connector to a boat gas tank?
Sort of off topic..... I got one of those 5 gallon gas tanks that are portable and are used for boating. I'm not going to use it for boating, it's for testing engines, so I dont have to...
7
7

New toilet persistently clogs
Three new toilets in three new bathrooms in a new addition. All built/installed by the same contractor. The only known difference is that the three toilets are different models. Two of them work with...
17
17

Button in a decora form
Hi, I have an ugly garage door button inside my home that I would like to put inside an electrical box with a decora faceplate. Does anyone know of a product like that? Thanks in advance.
1
1

Room Air Conditioner Settings
I turned on the through-the-window air conditioner in the bedroom to cool it down earlier and wondered which setting, high or low, would be more energy efficient in pre-cooling a room. It seems that...
6
6

cracks on new concrete slab ?
Hello all, I would appreciate if you could share with me your thoughts, regarding a remodeling I just completed on my 1 story ranch, slab/no basement in St Louis MO: extending a 1 car garage into a 2...
8
8

first time painting 16' ceiling
Hi there.. I was just offered a job to paint a 16' ceiling. It will be my first time painting a ceiling of that height and also my first working on scaffolding.. So my question is, do I cut the...
1
1

Old phone, cut wires
I recently bought an old 1970's Mickey Mouse phone from a thrift store. From what I have been reading online, and even here in this group, it may or may not work as a normal phone depending on my...
8
8

Electric Hot Water Heater
Is there any way to test the thermostats and heating elements on HWH without draining it? And if I have to drain it what is the best procedure to do the test. I have hot water but not as hot as it...
11
11

Who is liable?
Hello, If you look back over the last week or 2 you'll see I had posts regarding problems with my new A/C and furnace that were installed a few months before I bought a 40 year old house. It turns...
17
17

Using lazer level to make line behind garage
What's wrong with string? It'll give you far better than crude alignment. You say you know the thickness of the corner trim. 3/4". You say you plan on using a 2X4. 1-1/2" You say you plan on using...
2
2

Repairing a USB keypad
I have a USB keypad with a broken cable. The cable is very thin (number 22 or smaller). I want to replace as much of the cable as possible with a USB device cable. My problem is that I do not know how...
10
10