Water alarms

What are the best water alarms? Neede for an air conditioner overflow tray on the attic floor, utility room, kitchen and under an aquarium. Thanks.

Reply to
Phisherman

For an AC, the normal case is another drain leading outside. If you see it dripping when you mow the law, raise the alarm.

Aside: I recently added a pipe with a cap on it to the evaporator unit. My plan is to dump a cup or so of bleach in there once a year to bother the algae and moss and fungus and whatever else grows there that stops up the drain.

Reply to
HeyBub

I bought some of those cheap jobs at Harbor Freight. They have a probe that goes where you would like unwanted water to be detected. A four foot line leads to the sending unit which contains the 4, AAA batteries and the irritating, intermittent and fast beeper. Sold me on it the first time I heard it go off.

Reply to
C & E

There is an overflow PVC pipe but the tray has to fill up with several gallons of water before it starts to drip on the deck. The main A/C drain gets clogged up and I flush out the debris with a garden hose twice a year. I found that bleach may help, but it still requires flushing. I want to avoid water damage.

Reply to
Phisherman

Best? A cat chained into the pan, or one tied to your monitored alarm system, so they call you.

Reply to
ransley

I don't think you need a garden hose. Simply blowing in the discharge pipe will loosen the jam. If you put a cup of bleach in the reservoir before you blow, the resultant river should kill the algae.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have one of the $10 ones from HD. It's a battery powered plastic box with alarm and contacts on the bottom. I have it placed near my water heater. For that application, I think it's fine, because it's likely someone will hear it in time to avoid serious damage.

But I'm sure you can do better and depending on the application, it could be well worth it. For the attic AC, I think I've seen systems where there was an auto shut-off of the AC. In fact, you would think this would be standard reqt now. That, along with 2 drain lines would be my preferred solution, as it doesn't rely on anyone being around to take action.

Reply to
trader4

ransley wrote in news:321a1b4c-09c9-47e0-973f- snipped-for-privacy@l32g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

Where can I get some decent chain? No shipyards around here.

Red Green

Reply to
Phisherman

I already tried blowing with my lungs without any success. The pipe is over 40 feet long, three stories. The garden hose works, though.

Reply to
Phisherman