What is used as a connector to a boat gas tank?

Sort of off topic.....

I got one of those 5 gallon gas tanks that are portable and are used for boating. I'm not going to use it for boating, it's for testing engines, so I dont have to connect a car gas tank, which is not real safe. These tanks are made for portability as well as safety. I've noticed they use them in demolition derby cars too.

My question is that when I bought this used tank, it only has a filler cap, and a hole where a person connects the gas line. But that hole has ridges around it, so there has to be some sort of connector that goes into it, to connect the fuel line. That piece is missing. My guess is that some boating place would have them, but there are no boat dealers nearby, so I'll have to mail order it. But what do I look for? What are they called? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jimw

Reply to
Jimw

I'd save yourself some grief and purchase a new plastic tank, it will come complete with everything. All the new portable tanks are plastic now as a safty measure.

Go to westmarine online, they have a nice selection of portable tanks.

Reply to
someone

Jimw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Boat tanks usually don't come with the fuel connectors because the connectors for Mercury or Evinrude motors are different. I would guess that the person you got the tank from kept the connector so he could use it again on another tank.

You can use any elbow with the correct size and thread type. Screw the adaptor you need into the elbow. Note that there is supposed to be a small tube inside the tank on the underside of the small hole that sucks gas up from the bottom of the tank. Make sure that the tube is still there or you won't get any gas at all from the tank.

Reply to
Reno

Plastic tanks are not a :safety measure", they are an economy measure. And West Marine is about the most expensive chandelery on earth.

Reply to
salty

And don't forget to open the vent on the cap! ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses

You mean that a tank that melts, runs, and burns is safer than a tank that can take some heat? News to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes they are, they can withstand the required drop testing that metal cans cannot. West Marine may be expensive, but google and find many more places to purchase a plastic boat gas can.

Reply to
someone

Cite please. This sounds like baloney from a marketing department.

Reply to
salty