Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Math question
Well, not exactly OT. Suppose the average human walks 3 miles per hour. How long would it take to walk 700 feet from the front of one's property to the rear?
41
41

Wood flooring installation advice
Well, I got a good deal on some "Tavern Grade" wood flooring that is 2 1/4 inches wide. It will go in my living room and butt against my 3 inch wide hardwood in the dining room. Any advice on how to...
7
7

Electrical usage
What is the formula to determine the amount of electricity used by different size motors or appliances. Thanks Mike
18
18

Wax for bannister hand rails
Can anyone suggest a wood wax I can use on my banister hand rails that will leave a shinny, but tacky coating? I just had my banisters tightened and refinished and the hand rails are too slippery now....
2
2

shutting down Swimming pool
To some of you , you may see that this post is done twice...reason why I am posting again is I beleive my filters blocked out the first posting I had made earlier this morning...so I am asking with a...
3
3

Making yard more firm to allow vehicle passage without digging trenches
I need to drive on part of my yard without tearing up the grass (St aug). This will be for getting to and parking a boat so traffic won't be that freuqent. Maybe twice a month max. The yard is sod...
13
13

1.0 Hp vs. 3/4 Hp
Hi, When I was replacing blower motor on our furnace there were two replacement choices 1.0 Hp or 3/4 Hp 3 speed motor. Between two only difference was Hp rating and full load current draw. As sn...
14
14

Serious wildlife question
No smartass remarks, please- a serious question. How hard can a wild turkey peck? Is it hard enough to break an insulated glass panel in a sliding door? I threw some birdseed out onto the deck, since...
37
37

plumbing question
When I first turn the faucet on in the kitchen, it "jumps" slightly, as if the water had been shut off completely and then turned back on (although not nearly that bad). Doesn't seem to happen when I...
4
4

Recessed Halogen Light Trim Question
I was changing my first 50W halogen bulb yesterday in over a decade. I don't know why but I /thought/ the recessed trim pulled down (like an attic ladder) to allow easier access to the bulb. In...
3
3

Ripping fence pickets into thirds with hand-held circular saw?
I need about 150 6-foot cedar battens, and it turns out the least expensive source would be to buy 50 cedar fence pickets and cut them into thirds. The pickets are 5/8" thick by 3.5" wide, 6-feet...
33
33

Mothballing swimming pool
Hello, I have an ABOVE GROUND swim spa/lap pool that I wish to shutdown and drain for about 3-4 months. (leaving contry) I ususally drain the pool once a year to replace with clean water ( TDS issues)...
4
4

Cone Shaped PVC Washer - Which Way Should it Face?
I've always been confused as to which way the cone-shaped plastic washer should face when installing kitchen sink PVC tubing - there are 2 configurations - one is from nut + inside washer + thread and...
7
7

Ceiling Fans
Which gives more airflo ,a 4 or 5 blade ceiling fan ?
7
7

Barbecue Grill burner replacements
I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club. 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many websites....
41
41