Recessed Halogen Light Trim Question

I was changing my first 50W halogen bulb yesterday in over a decade. I don't know why but I /thought/ the recessed trim pulled down (like an attic ladder) to allow easier access to the bulb. In pulling the housing away from the trim, I inadvertently stretched both tension springs that hold said housing firmly against the trim. Now the housing is pulled 1/4" to 1/2" away from being flush with the ceiling. I looks terrible.

Are there springs available for this type of product? I couldn't find a name anywhere on the housing nor does my local hardware shop (which carried this product 10 years ago when we remodeled) know of where to purchase something. The housing and trim I saw yesterday are not only different in color but also different in style so that's a no-go, too.

Many thanks for any leads or ideas.

Humbly,

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

If it happened to me, I'd cut a 2x4 an inch shorter than the height of the light. I'd cut two wooden wedges, borrow two sledge hammers, and invite a friend over. As long as you both hit your wedges at the same time, you should be able to get the housing good and tight.

Reply to
J Burns

That's the spring. Thank ya kindly.

That would take much longer to explain to SWMBO especially when the "hit your wedges at the same time" timing was essential to the plan working. No; I think simply purchasing two springs is a much more sound idea... ;)

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Did you try asking your local hardware store where their spring selection boxes are located? Any reasonably sized hardware store has a box or two of misc springs along with all their other hardware boxes of nut, bolts, machine screws, etc.

Reply to
hrhofmann