Subject Author Posted Replies

Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts?
Working on my 40 year old Huskey Bolens garden tractor I found a few broken bolts in the front end and mounting the engine, they were all grade 5 bolts, no idea if they had even been out before. I...
18
18

Carpet cutting
So you overlap one section of carpet over an adjoining section of carpet and you want to cut through both layers so that you will have an almost invisible joint. Is there a knife that really works for...
16
16

Craftsman push lawnmower wobble after hitting rocks won't start
What is the typical thing to look for that broke when my lawnmower hit a stationary object? I've hit much tougher sets of rocks than the little things that all of a sudden caused my Craftsman 18 inch...
56
56

Suggestions from your experience organizing metric & english combination box/open end wrench sets?
Sometimes a good idea is only a suggestion away. I have your typical set of metric and english combination box/open-end wrench sets in various drawers in my toolbox. But they're all jumbled about such...
21
21

House tearing up power supplies. Possible bad wiring?
Lately my gf's moms house has been tearing up power supplies. They had a laptop power source go bad, and then 2 more after that. Its weird that all these could go bad at the same time. I also found...
8
8

Residential Wiring Colors....GREEN?
My 1950s vintage house has the armored flexible conduit. Most of the circuits have the standard black/hot white/neutral color scheme. For some reason, the 20A circuit I want to modify uses a GREEN...
34
34

Doppler Flow Meters
If you have ever seen the Kill-a-Watt meter to track electric use of home appliances, you can undertsand why I was hoping for a cheap doppler meter to track liquid flow noninvasively inside piper...
4
4

IR home leak imaging
I knew someone who got some used fancy oilfield devices and imaged houses to find leaks using not only infrared but some pretty fancy math to compare how the images changed as the temperature changed...
5
5

Where to find outdoor bathrobe hooks (brass? bronze?) for a good price?
I would like a dozen outdoor bathrobe hooks but all the ones I found were either cheap plated hooks or very expensive designer brass or bronze designs. The hooks would be arranged on a dozen foot-wide...
21
21

OT Label Maker
I would like to have a portable label maker to label my cell phone and some ac switches I have for computer equipment. It is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones online. Anyone care to...
6
6

Testing Air Flow of Electric Pump
I've got 2 electric pumps for filling air mattresses. I'm looking for a way to determine which one will fill an air mattress quicker - other than actually filling the same air mattress with each pump....
2
2

STR-D790
I have this stereo and if I get DRLC MAIN and will not shut off, then use the remote control to shut down. Always works. Easiest way. As to the fidelity from this "old unit", about the time this Sony...

Grease gun
I just bought a Plews mini grease gun that takes 3 ounce cartridges. Can it be loaded with bulk grease instead of using those expensive little cartridges? (Yes, I'm a cheapskate. Tell me something I...
17
17

Cutler Hammer combo AFCI breakers and ground bars
Because the Cutler Hammer BR combo AFCI breakers are longer than standard breakers I decided to do a little test fitting. My original concern was that the ground bar would be covered so there would be...

Sprinkler Timer Recommendation
I have a two zone sprinkler system, a timer (which is broken and I have to turn on the sprinkler with a manual switch now), the timer controls the pump, the pump sends water to a hydraulic indexing...
2
2