Carpet cutting

So you overlap one section of carpet over an adjoining section of carpet and you want to cut through both layers so that you will have an almost invisible joint. Is there a knife that really works for this? I mean like a really, really sharp one. My little arm gets so tired.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

A carpet knife?

Be careful! They are sharp! ...on both sides.

Reply to
krw

Thanks. I have several of those. I guess it's just my weakness because I just can't seem to cut through both layers on one pass and when I make two or more passes, I defeat the whole purpose because it's impossible to stay in line with the first pass. I must be doing something wrong. I'm not weak. I do 36 reps of 35 lb curls every other day so it's got to be something I'm just not doing right. I appreciate your response.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

It's dangerous to put much force behind these knives. They'll break and you won't like the results. Blood clashes with most carpets. Replace the blades more often and cut sideways (slice), not the from the top down. If can't slice your arm off, oops, I mean cut the carpet with one pass, you are weak. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I've cut carpet only once, and that was to get rid of three rooms of carpet that had to be cut smaller to dispose of it...tough job, and that was cutting from the back side.

What is the situation...carpet already tacked down?

Reply to
norminn

Yep, pretty much. Just need to get a good seam. As in invisible. It is commercial grade indoor/outdoor carpet and it's pretty dang stout. And, I'm cutting across the run.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

In my years of experience with carpets in the convention industry, we called those "Bloody Mary's" for obvious reasons.

You have left out about six steps in the proper alignment and treatment of edges before cutting to match. Getting as straight as a cut as you can, getting rid of frazzles, etc. Then you would use a "cushion back carpet cutter" to lay your carpet one on top of the other to match cut. The thicker the pile is, though, the tougher it is to get a good match. What you are doing is following a line that is not straight so that the edges will match anyway. If you do it the really pro way, you would use a straight edge, and get two matching straight edges to give you a good seam.

It all depends on the results you need to get, and how good is good enough. If you are going to hot seam tape it, you want it pretty darn close.

HTH

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

I'm not sure if this will help as I am having trouble visualizing your exact situation. But, I have found that an electric knife works very well to cut carpeting and padding. It also cuts soft foam really well. The problem as I see it, is if the carpet is tight to the floor, it will be difficult to get the knife blade perpendicular to the carpet. However, if the knife is sharp all the way to the end it might work. As I said, I am just offering this as a possible use. BTW, I don't know how carpet guys do it. It just seems like magic to me. I've never had good luck with those carpet knives.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I just got back from the lumber yard -- a local not a big box store -- and the old gentleman there gave me a lesson and gave me some remnants to practice on. We went out in the back warehouse and he laid two 1 X 4s on the concrete floor about an 8th inch apart, laid the two layers of carpet over them, stepped astraddle of that and sliced through it like it was butter. Removed the boards, laid the carpet down and you couldn't tell where the cut was. I tried it about 6 times and now I consider myself an expert. And I will remain one probably until I try it on my own carpet tomorrow.

Oh, don't know if this means anything, but he did sell me two 1x4s.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

quoted text -

Wonderful !!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Wonderful !!!!

Well, it went so so but not to my satisfaction. So it's off to the stickhouse (that's south Texan for lumber yard) for a really long threshold type stainable board. That old fellow sure knows how to sell sticks.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

WHERE does one get this kind of service these days! Does one's heart good to hear about an "old gentleman" who went out of his way to help a customer. Way to go!!!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

clipped

Ben Moore paint store in Indianapolis, for one :o) Took in a chip of old exterior paint to get a match...I was satisfied with the first try, but the clerk wasn't. He adjusted the color a second time, applied some paint to a stir stick, dried it with a hair dryer and then HE was satisfied. Gentleman was probably 75, and that's been 10 years. Also an Ace Hardware store, hole in the wall with stuff piled to the rafters, literally...the staff know how to use everthing they sell and great advice to questions.

Reply to
norminn

-snip-

Marty's True Value in Schenectady, NY, for another.

I started going there when the mother of one of my kid's friends was going through a divorce & trying to keep her old house going. She mentioned a plumbing problem one day & I offered to help her. She said thanks, but she had it covered. 'It takes 2 trips to Marty's. First trip I describe the problem and one of the boys tells me how to get it apart. Then I bring the bad parts down & they tell me how to put it back together. Sometimes they loan me tools if I need them.'

Made a loyal customer out of me. I hate when I need a part on a Sunday & have to use the big-box stores. Feels like I'm cheatin' on my wife.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I find them in stores in small towns all over the country. Just a way of life in little towns like mine (population 103) and the larger ones like the ones I drive to to buy thing I need (population usually around 2000). Now, if those folks in Switzerland can just find that Higgs Boson, we might get somewhere.

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster

Here's a good video that shows how to do it. He's also using a different looking carpet knife than the usual ones.

Ignore the fact that whoever made the video can't spell.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

I had seen that already Jay and I wasn't that impressed. I saw one on TV where they overlaid the two and cut them both at the same time. I used that method and it was almost perfect but then towards the end, in the most visible place, my arm slipped and left a gap. So. I'm just going to get one of those nice mouldings they use and run it across the whole 14 foot run and leave it at that.

tks

Reply to
The Post Quartermaster