OT Label Maker

I would like to have a portable label maker to label my cell phone and some ac switches I have for computer equipment.

It is hard to tell the good ones from the bad ones online. Anyone care to recommend one?

Reply to
Metspitzer

I was wondering if Brother made label makers. I have a printer and a fax machine from Brother. Both outstanding.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I have a P-touch made by brother. I have no complaints.

Reply to
DanG

I like the one made by Brother from Staples. Both white background/ black letters, or clear with black available. VERY handy. Runs on a fist full of AA batteries, which I haven't had to replace in a couple of years of use. This model (in the kitchen, at the other end of the house), is about 6" across.

/paul W3FIS

Reply to
professorpaul

First, check out the stock of label tape that's available, for cost and multiple sizes and colours. No sense getting a label maker for which you can't get the tape you'd like, or for which the tape is so expensive you don't use it. Even if you get the maker and an initial supply of tape online, you're probably going to be happier if you can get the tape locally when you run out.

Second, I'd recommend getting one with an AC adapter, unless you really expect to be using the thing where there's no power.

If most of your labeling is going to be one-off ad-hoc stuff, then a computer interface is probably of little value. If you're going to be printing long error-prone serial numbers or SKUs that are already in a spreadsheet or database, then you'll probably want one that hooks up.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

I have a Brother P-Touch Model PT-1950. They probably don't make that particular model anymore but you should be able to find something very similar.

The best features:

1) Can use either batteries or AC power.

2) Can use any font found on your computer by hooking it directly to Brother's editor software via a mini-USB cable. I use this feature more than any other by far. If you use it portably, you're limited to the two fonts preloaded into the label maker.

3) Tapes are readily available in sizes up to 3/4" wide. I use 3/8" and 3/4" more than any others. I've never been in an office supply that didn't sell P-Touch tapes.

4) Tapes are available in a variety of colors. I use a 3/4" black tape with gold lettering in the car and it looks like Ford printed it. I've also got a selection of white tapes and one roll of red over clear tape.

I don't suggest you buy a cheaper model because you'll probably end up regretting the loss in capability. Being able to link up to the computer means that you could even print a Word document if you wanted to... just select the brother printer instead of your usual HP or whatever you've got. It's just slick.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Brother PT1280RF-NT Desktop Label Printer ONLY: $6.99

(It's a refurb, but I've bought from them before - same unit - very happy with it - it's a great price and I just ordered another one to keep in the workshop - fast shipping and they take Paypal, too. No financial interest - just a happy repeat customer)

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green