Subject Author Posted Replies

ID this gas pipe fitting?
I have a gas line coming into my house through the basement wall. The line coming looks like it is about a 1-1/4 inch pipe. The pipe comes in, then there is a silver steel color knurled fitting, then...
24
24

Double flush for free.
I have a regular toilet about ten years old with 8 month old fluidmaster or similar guts. When I flush I get a 'regular' flush in about 4 to 5 seconds then another flush right after (without me doing...
1
1

What a joke
If you watched this old house this weekend you noticed that because of environmentalists you can't even kill the poison ivy on your own property any more. Are thay kidding? I'm not sure what state...
20
20

How would my neighbors french drain affect my house?
Where I live we usually do not get water in the basement unless it rains constantly over a period of time. Its happened twice in the last 5 years, but fortunately I only got a inch of water in the...
7
7

Maytag Washing Machine -Fault
Got a front loading- Euroline Maytag washing machine, that is reporting a fault on the drainage system, and stopping before it spins. Checked outlet and no blockages, someone suggested filter needs...
7
7

Owning a house
I don't own a house, but I would suggest having someone help you fix your house if you have one.
3
3

Spray Foam insulation in the attic
My old house needs some insulating, and I've been looking at the companies that do spray foam. I'm in the Midwest, in Chicago, where winters can get very cold. I have an unfinished attic space over...
18
18

solar and geothermal home in DE
Home of the DiStefano Family - Blog of our geothermal and solar enrgy projects

Fluidmaster fill-valve
I got an American Std. toilet from the 1950's. Fluidmaster fill-valve was installed maybe 10 years ago. Tanks fills OK, but it seeps a little after fill-up. I push the float down a little and it...
16
16

Electric Dryer Shuts Off
We have a 7-year-old Whirlpool electric clothes dryer which worked perfectly until today. It will run for a few minutes, then shut off. The lint filter is clean and the exhaust is getting outside...
10
10

Water heater blanket for furnace supply plenum?
We have several high efficiency gas furnaces. The furnace itself is cool to the touch as are the insulated ducts. The only warm-to-hot part is the sheet metal supply plenum that is uninsulated. Since...
8
8

underground artisians/ french drain
I live at the bottom of a hill in the foothills. there are underground artisians and I have dug several trenches with 4" pipe draining the water constantly. The ground is saturated about 10 months out...
7
7

A/C Cover For Outside A/C Unit: Good Idea ?
Hello, Live in New England. Lots of snow, ice, etc. around here in winter. Do most of you folks use, or recommend, those plastic/rubberized Air Conditioner covers for the outside A/C unit (Condenser)...
11
11

dry location only halogen lighting...
My wife spent a good small fortune on halogen track for our bathroom that houses our shower. I've never seen a fixture marked "dry location only". Fixture is both CSA and UL (halogen) listed....
5
5

chainsaw will not start
Dolmar 5100 1.5 years old - 1 gallon of gas old (not used much) Opti 2 oil mix with stabilizer sparkplug has spark starter rope pulls, feel compression, but no combustion Before dying it was running...
32
32