Soggy Grass

Hi All,
I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a soggy mulch what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late? Thank you.
--
boomer356

What state do you live in? And what is the weather like?

Our yard does the same thing each year, it flattens out where it is tall. We just cut it like we do the rest of our grass. I hope this helps.

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic in general is gardening.

I am only replying to your question as a part of an internet literacy class I am taking. Unfortunately I do not know a whole lot about gardening. In my experience though, if the grass grew before the snowfall and established a strong root system, it will revitilize itself when the weather gets nice. Good luck.

I believe when it is dry enough to cut that you can cut it and it should be just fine.

I believe that as long as your yard is established, you will be fine. Just cut it when appropriate.

Your best bet would be to do nothing at the moment. From what you described it sounds like the ground is still very wet from the snow/ rain. Wait for your yard to dry out until you are certain you can pass a mower (riding or pushing) over it without it sinking into the lawn. No need to get stuck! Since your lawn is shady you're going to have a higher amount of moisture than a lawn that is exposed to full sun, so you are probably going to have a "wet" lawn on more than one occasion throughout the year. Once it dries out trim your grass. You may have to do multiple passes if the grass is quite high. Keeping the grass trimmed regularly might help reduce moisture; it will give the grass "room to breathe" instead of letting it get tangled and matted. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Hello,
boomer365 I believe there's nothing you really can do at this moment. Wait for more sun and wait until it tries up. Cutting it then will be a better idea. Plus the snow may have ruined some of the grass so sadly I think you may have to replant some seeds to rejuvinate your garden.
Good luck boomer365.

I thought I replied because it said my message was successful but I do not see it. I believe you just need to wait it out, wait for the ground to dry before you cut the grass.
Good luck boomer365
If I were you, I would play it by ear. I would first wait for it to dry out enough so your lawn mower is not sinking in the mud. I'd then mow it and see how it does. If you have some bare spots, I would replenish them with grass seed and see how it goes. The biggest thing is not getting too anxious and trying to mow it before it's dried out. That could do more damage than there already is.

If I were you I would wait for the area to dry before you attempt to do anything. Once it is dry enough to mow without sinking in the mud, I'd mow it. If you have any bare spots, I'd replenish them with more grass seed and see what happens.

Just wondering what this news group is all about Thanks