planting grass in shady back yard

Hi all! I would like to plant grass in our back yard that has several trees. It gets some sun, but not much, it's usually shady during the day. I would like your expert advice on the following issues:

  1. When to plant grass? Note: According to city ordinance, I MUST plant grass between now and May 15, which leaves me a little over a month. I don't know if it's the best time for planting or not but I have no choice. So I wonder if it's wrong time to plant, what will the consequences be (i.e. will the grass grow this summer, will I have to use some special care, etc.)?

  1. What type of grass should I plant that grows best in the shade? Should I use seeds or "roll-out grass"?

  2. What are the tips for caring for the newly planted grass? Should I buy a sprinkler system? How often do I need to fertilize it?

I live in St. Louis, MO. Thanks for all responses!

Reply to
dingodog_1979

I've never heard of a city ordinance about when you can plant grass... that just seems wierd.

Your best bet for accurate advice for your area is to contact the county agricultural extension service, or it's equivalent around there. Failing that, just ask at some good lawn/garden stores (we have Agway, Blue Seal, and one or two others). Your climate and soil type will vary tremendously from anyone else's on here, so any advice I can give you might work for me in NH, but fail miserably for you in MO. They can also give you good advice on watering, cutting, and feeding. Don't overdo any of them. Most grass really prefers to be allowed to grow decently (so don't cut it too short), have the clippings mulched in to feed, and watered occasionally but deeply (to get those roots to go WAY down). Do that, and you won't really need a sprinkler system or fussy feeding, unless you are a fetishist about a billiard-table lawn.

General rules say that plant> Hi all! I would like to plant grass in our back yard that has several

Reply to
Andrew Duane

For a shaded area, I would go with Spring seeding. In early Fall trees still have leaves, which will block sunlight, making it more difficult.

Beyond that, without knowing specifics, impossible to give advice

Summer is harsh on seedlings, they dry out way too fast.

Reply to
trader4

Just a guess, but I suspect it has to do with water usage & trying to get a lawn established before summer when usage is at it's peak.

Reply to
Red