Pre-treat weeds with soapy water before spraying weed killer?

Page 1 of 2
I mix concentrated Ortho Weed B Gon (Plus Grabgrass Control) with water according to the label and use a 1-gallon handpump sprayer.
I suppose that it works, but I don't exactly see the spray "wetting" the leaves and stems of the stuff I'm spraying. Looks more like most of it beads up on the leaves and runs off.
I'm thinking that this stuff would be more effective if it "stuck" to the leaves, and I think that's only going to happen if the surface tension is reduced, possibly by pre-spraying the weeds with soapy water, or alternatively maybe adding soap in with the weed killer and water.
Does anyone have a clue regarding if the effectiveness of water-soluble weed killer is increased if a surface-tension reducing agent is used?
And just for clarity, Ortho Weed B Gon contains:
2,4-D (Dimethylamine salt) Quinclorac Dicamba (dimethlamine salt)
HomeGuy wrote:

Hi, In this city chemical week killer wass banned few years ago. We use DW liquid+salt+vinegar to kill weeds and use arm strong power to physically remove weeds in our small city lot.

Bu . . bu . . but:
DW liquid+salt+vinegar is a chemical weed killer
Pico Rico wrote:

Hi, You're right but it won't make our dog or neighborhood small children sick or who knows even die.
On 7/13/2014 11:20 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I wouldn't be sure.... depends how long the exposure. Sodium causes heart problems, and vinegar can upset the pH balance.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/13/2014 11:11 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

For sure, it's acidic and saline, not to mention destroys surface tension. What a chemical mix.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 07/13/2014 9:52 PM, HomeGuy wrote: ...

Indeed they do...
<http://extension.psu.edu/pests/weeds/control/adjuvants-for-enhancing-herbicide-performance

On 07/13/2014 09:52 PM, HomeGuy wrote:

No way would I ever toxify my yard, I found that after a good rain it's pretty easy to pull out the weeds roots and all.
A number of years ago garlic mustard took over and after a good rain, those things came out with little effort and now that I've cleared the yard , no more than three or four return each year.
On 07/14/2014 02:15 AM, philo wrote:>

Yep. A number of years ago I used some of the Weed-B-Gon on my yard to get rid of a dandelion infestation. While it worked well, I noticed that the local squirrels were acting a bit strange for a few weeks afterwards. In the following years, I noticed a similar behavior pattern near other neighbors who used the products.
Now I just go out and pull the weeds every once in awhile. You can pick a lot of weeds in a half an hour (literally hundreds of them), and it's more satisfying to get the chance to kill them up close and personal anyway. Like any "dirty job", I just put on some working clothes and gloves and have at it.
Jon
On 7/14/2014 11:50 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

How does a squirrel act strange?
Did you spray your neighbor?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

How big is your yard? How well do your neighbors keep theirs so seeds don't fly to your yard? Sometimes you need more than just pulling the weeds, though there are better methods than just chemicals.
On 07/14/2014 05:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Admittedly my yard is fairly small, I suppose for a large area I'd think differently.

Don't pre-spray, just add a small amount of surfacant to the weed killer. I can't tell you how much bu tI add about a cap full or two of liquid dish detergent to my 35 gallon spray tank with either 2,4-D or Rodeo/Roundup.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Good luck doing that along a half mile of fence.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 7/14/2014 6:33 AM, dadiOH wrote:

My landlord is concerned about trim weeds, mow the lawn. A couple year ago, I sprayed Roundup all around my trailer, right near the skirting. Left a dead zone. Which is OK with me, at least it's not weeds and doesn't cost me money when the landlord decides to send his guy out to trim my weeds. Far as I know, no children or animals were killed. Except the little boy who... no, probably not the cause.....
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/13/2014 10:52 PM, HomeGuy wrote:

I would assume the mix is formulated for maximum effectiveness and works best when directions are followed.
I had a neighbor that had one of these jobs at DuPont and that is all he did.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Eliminating dogs would be a big benefit actually...
Terry Coombs used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

I think you're confusing herbicides and insecticides.
Herbicides have no designed or documented effects directly on insects as far as I know, apart from reducing potential pollen sources from flowering weeds.

sodium doesn't go away either. It just stays in your soil forever. Not for me.
On 7/14/2014 10:00 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

> in your soil forever. Not for

So, why is there not a foot of rock salt along the side of the road?
--
.
Christopher A. Young