Salt water to treat weeds?

In the past I have used rock salt (from my water softener) to treat unwanted plant growth coming up through my pavers. I would dilute it with water, 1:4 in a 2 gallon spay bottle and go at it.

Although effective, I am curious to know if this is deleterious to the pavers over time. I don't want to use herbicides because of children and domestic pet considerations.

Would appreciate if anyone is willing to share info or experiences.

Thanx.

John

Reply to
john

My wife damn near ruined sections of my walk this past year by over salting. Salt, particularly, sodium chloride, is bad for concrete. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (john) wrote in news:80761877.0406090941.4f1f6268 @posting.google.com:

Have you tried plain 5% grocery store vinegar? It doesn't work on everything and should be applied on hot days for best effect. Don't know how it affects pavers.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

The salt will leach into other planted areas and ordinary salt (sodium chloride) is not good for most plants and not good for concrete, brick nor stone. Plus, you will get unsightly salt markings on your pavers. RoundUp is safe for children and pets. Or you could use a propane torch or boiling water.

Reply to
Phisherman

I agree with the majority of your post, but I have to strongly disagree with the safety of roundup statement. A posion is a poison and with children around, you can be sure that they will find a way to get into it.

Reply to
Timothy

Obviously you have no idea what constitutes a poison. Cretin.

Reply to
Elaine Wald

Cretin eh..? All you can do is call me names but supply no proof of me as being such? Where's your proof that round up isn't a controlled poison? So if your child drinks roundup you shouldn't call poison control? Is round up a new type of herbicide that isn't a poison. There is tons of information on the fact that roundup is a poison, strange that I've only found two references to the fact that it's "safe" for children and pets. Weird how it destroys fish, frogs and other creatures.... but does nothing to you and your children. I would assume that you need to stfu and stop call people names Elaine. Your lack of self esteem is showing through......

See what Monsanto has to say about their own product:

Timothy

For any "chemical" substance, you will find those who warn of the "dangers" involved. However, glysophate (RoundUp) is virtually non-toxic to humans and pets. A child is *much* more likely to be harmed by "getting into" aspirin, dish soap, or beer. The 'caution' on the RoundUp label says to "keep out of the reach of children," and that after *ingestion*, some irritation may occur.

anything can be a "poison," if ingested in suffieicent quantities, including water. Glysophate is an effective herbicide, not a human poison.

Reply to
Frogleg

Boiling water works good for me. I have a short sidewalk and it's right outside my kitchen door, so when I'm making tea, it's easy to step outside, and pour the extra hot water on whatever is growing through the sidewalk cracks. Maybe it's not practical for a longer sidewalk, but it works good for me.

Reply to
Joe

Absolutely right, Frogleg! For you others, check to see what they use as the base chemical for comparing toxicity of all other chemicals. The base is sodium chloride (common salt). Which, by the way is very toxic to humans in anything other than trace amounts. And Glysophate (roundup) is very near the bottom of the toxicity chart, not much higher than water.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.