So you really think that Goodman equipment is such a good deal?

Page 1 of 2
So you're (aka "the homeowner") ready to buy that Goodman A/C system on the sole fact that its the cheapest unit you can find. Keep this in mind. You will most likely be using their CAUF evaporator coil. I just changed one last year in Aug due to refrigerant leaks. It just barely made the 5 yr warranty period. Just today, I went back and found that the coil I put in back in Aug of 2006 is now also leaking! It seems Goodman has quite a problem. This coil in particular is a CAUF3636. Ahhh the money this builder must have saved on this $350K+ home 6 yrs ago by having a 80% Goodman furnace and 10 SEER Goodman A/C installed. Bubba

2 evaps... damn man, what is it, a meth house?

Funny you mention that :-) Jokingly, I asked the homeowner if she or anyone in the home was running a meth-lab or spraying brake cleaner around in the home. Yes, it was a joke. No such thing. Upscale neighbor hood, normal residential stuff.
Whats even more fun is today I had ANOTHER Godman coil refrigerant leak. A CAUF048C2A. This one I installed in July of 2006. The coil had a 2005 date code on it. Both coils leaked in the same place. All around the bottom row of coils. Neither would show up with bubbles. Only found it with the electronic. 2 lbs of R-22 in each to get them going again and Monday they each get new coils. Nothing like warranty work. Bubba

Seems like it doesn't take much environmental conditions to ruin today's coils. :-(

It may not be environmental.....2 questions need to be answered first..... 1) Were the coils in air handlers?? or with furnaces?? 2) Did the drains have proper traps in them??
If the coils were in air handlers, and didn't have traps in the drains, then thats a completely different issue.

The coils were not in air handlers. They were both uncased A-coils on top of Goodman 80% gas furnaces. Both did not have traps as I dont generally install them on "above the blower" applications. Young kids and toddlers in the home so only Momma/s (one hot, one not) using things like hairspray chemicals. No photo labs or anything out of the ordinary I could find. Bubba

That being the case, you may have gotten some coils with flaws in the tubing.... maybe some kind of problem in the manufacturing process... It doesn't take mucn because the tube walls are only .025 inch thick. Maybe some more of China's finest work??

I'll buy that, big time.
Last year, I was out of 3/8" tubing <grew legs> and needed about a 1' piece. Next door is an Ace Hardware. So I bought the little box of generic type-L x 6'.
I used the whole freaking 6' to finally have a 12" piece with both flared ends intact.
It was like trying to flare a piece of Mostaccioli!
It ripped, it split in multiple seams, it even tore apart into little flake pieces!
Yes, little flakes of copper! Sort of like, crumbling up a sugar cube.
I could hardly believe my eyes. China's QC is purely rolling the dice.
Even for just an atomizing air line, I replaced it the following week, just because I was THAT uncomfortable leaving it in-line.
-zero

system
leaks.
had
today's
first.....
Or Mexico's...
Bubba wrote:

Hi, How about chanigng it's name to Badman or Notsogoodman?

"That POS on the scrap pile" works for me.
Noon-Air wrote:

Hi, Wonder if the coil is made in China?

Hell, *everything* is made in China or Mexico...
Bubba wrote:

... or perhaps your installation job was inadequate.

Perhaps, CJT, You are just retarded? But then, Im sure if you installed evaporator coils, you would give them a good acid bath and then a quick belt sanding before it was installed. Bite me. Bubba

I wouldn't let CJT bite ya, you might end up with a case of Stupidity. :-)
Bubba wrote:

Where in the coil was the leak?
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Moe Jones wrote:

I am retired from HVAC/R contracting, therefore, I have NO dog in this fight.
There could possibly be a vested interest connected with the put down of Goodman equipment. The leaks may have been at the brazed connections, even if they were not there have been a lot of Brands with coil leaks. Condemning Goodman equipment based on that reported incident is irrelevant, as most of those components are Mfg'ered by the same companies. Goodman has a good reputation with the testing firms.
If I were putting in a Heat Pump it would be a Goodman.
The latest models of Goodman equipment will perform as well if not better than the higher priced brands & it comes with as good a warranty as there is in the industry. http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_btuh_duct_sizing_air_conditioning_systems.html
udarrell

I can get you a 10 year parts a labor warranty on any brand. So the manufacture's warranty is really nothing to base your decision on. :-)
Flame a way fellas , but ive installed hundreds in the last two years and have had but a small handful of warranty issues , i wouldnt hesitate to install or back goodman equipment . reasonably priced , readily available and generic controls ,a good warranty program ,no need to wait a week or better for proprietary and often very expensive parts as with , lennox, trane,Bryant etc ;-)
you wont hear me putting down their brands as pos's
me thinks the big boys are getting nervous ,
The latest models of Goodman equipment will perform as well if not > better than the higher priced brands & it comes with as good a warrantye> as there is in the industry.w.uI can get you a 10 year parts a labor warranty on any brand.tSo the manufacture's warranty is really nothing to base your decision on.T:-)