Radio interference from Bryant hi-ef furnace.

Page 1 of 3
Hi Group, I'm hoping that someone will have some idea of what is most likely causing radio interference every time my Bryant hi-ef gas furnace lights up. When I first noticed it about a month ago the pronounced static would last for about 5 seconds. Now it's more like 30 seconds. I replaced the ignitor, and that wasn't it. The big capacitor is my next guess. Any thoughts from you experts will be greatly appreciated.
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:24:22 -0500, BlackHawk96

Replace the big capacitor. Then replace the thermostat. The diodes have probably gone bad. Make sure to run new low voltage wiring to sync up with the new stat. Bubba

Thank you, Bubba, for your advice. I really appreciate your insight.
Do you think it would be okay if I replace just hte big capacitor to start with? Or is replacing the stat a manadatory part of the fix?
Sincerely, BlackHawk

In case you didn't get it, he's mocking you. Telling someone to "replace the thermostat" or "install new low voltage wiring" passes for humor among a portion of the hvac elite. It's like asking the new guy to go get the wire stretcher or the left handed screwdriver.
Some of these guys take it personally that you are going anywhere near your furnace without paying dues to the hvac priesthood. Whaddya gonna do? It's Usenet.

Sounds like the choke coil has failed.
Sounds like your the choke pro oscar!....Take the cock out of your mouth ...easier to breathe!
HAHA
-Canadian Heat

Thank you, Oscar, for your thought. I really appreciate your insight.
Could you please describe what the choke coil looks like, and where it would most likely be located?
Sincerely, BlackHawk

It's in Oscars hand. :o)
-zero

Do I have to do everything?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_%28electronics%29
Blackhawk,
First off, don't listen to bubba or oscar. They are both playing with you. We call those 2, trunk slammers in the trade. Incompetent, non-professionals!
I would contact Bryant with the model, see if there is any reported problems. You need a model, series, product and serial number to get precise info.
Could be the board itself. There have been several revisions. I have seen wifi routers that cause a furnace to lockout. Had an old limit control that would "chatter" and cause interference with the TV.
Can you tell when the interference starts, relative to your furnace operation? Try to watch the sequence and see when exactly it happens.
What capacitor? The fan motor capacitor? I don't see how a capacitor or an igniter could do that...
-Canadian Heat
On 11 Feb 2007 21:43:38 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Yeah, like someone needs to listen to a parts changing hack like you Canuck. Its the flux capacitor you moron. Dont you know anything. Bubba
On 11 Feb 2007 21:43:38 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Thank you, Canadian Heat, for your feedback. I really appreciate your insight.
Your suggestion to contact the mfr makes perfect sense. The radio interference is so bad that it almost totally overcomes the signal around 970 am, which is a weak channel to begin with. The intensity of the interference is similar to a bell-shaped curve. So I will take a portable radio with me to correlate it with the furnace cycle. Hopefully Carrier will have some answers for me.
Arcing generates a lot of electromagnetic energy. That is why I suspected the ignitor. If it were "letting go", it might be arcing. That same logic would include the capacitor (I think it is the fan motor capacitor). Here again your idea about the timing cycle is invaluable.
Sincerely, BlackHawk
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:06:15 -0500, BlackHawk96

The Canuck invaluable? HaHaHa. Now Ive heard everything. Happy hunting, BlackHawk. DANgER is kind of the "jerk-off- poodle-dog" here. Try not to take him too seriously. You could get hurt and cost yourself a lot of money with his "witless" advice. Bubba

"Hopefully Carrier will have some answers for me." lots luck

On 11 Feb 2007 21:43:38 GMT, DANgER ( snipped-for-privacy@heat.com) wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts, Canadian Heat.
I emailed Bryant describing my problem, even though their website says not to ask them technical questions. They say to call a Bryant serviceman. I also asked them if I have one of the furnaces which has the plastic laminated mild steel secondary heat exchanger instead of stainless steel. I didn't mention the class action lawsuit which has been brought against Carrier for defective materials in the secondary heat exchanger.
I made careful note of when exactly the radio interference was being produced during the cycle. I was surprised to find that it was not being produced at or near the beginning of the cycle. It occurs some time after 5 minutes into the cycle, one or more times per cycle, with a duration ranging from 90 seconds to 5 minutes.
I pulled the control panel to have a better look at that big oval can capacitor. It is definitely the fan motor capacitor. I'm a little rusty on when those capacitors are in play. Am I wrong in assuming that the capacito is only used to get the motor started? If the capacitor was in play all the time the fan motor were running, that would match more closely the static pattern observed. When I held my walkman radio near that capacitor the static didn't get louder. It is very hard to pinpoint the source of the RFI with the Walkman. My ears may be playing tricks on me, but the gas valve seems to be the focus, but that is a very close call.
I would appreciate hearing your insight on this.
Sincerely, BlackHawk

Dear Blackhawk I have no idea what furnace you have or what it may look like but what you describing, to me it seems that when furnace have reach satisfactory temperature something is trying to limit that temperature or even perhaps trying to shout it down check you limit control device it could be set little closer then it should be I will also assumed that this is hot element turn on and not arc type device turn on the capacitor are normally use in running winning to keep motor running in right direction and are on at all time as long as fan is on also be careful running capacitors always are having much higher voltage then your supply voltage and can also have charge in them even after unit is bee shout down
Dido

Dildo say that!
No one else has a clue what he said, though...

YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW YOU ARE PRO.???? HaHahaha DIDO

Hey Dildo, my friend is a medical professor at John Hopkins University. He's willing to pay your family one million dollars for your brain when you die....because it's never been used...
--
Respectfully, Bob

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:32:43 GMT, "Bob_Loblaw"

And if that doesnt work out that retard DANgER will be a wonderful candidate. Bubba