Radio interference from Bryant hi-ef furnace.

DIDO is in Refrigeration. He actually is pretty good at it. He does all that cascade and weird refrigerant shit. I have spoken to him a couple of times about what he does and it's out of my league (spare the attacks on that one). So when he talks about Resi HVAC he is applying it from a refrigerant standpoint and a language barrier.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Dido is in the accelerated life test business. He does have a web site too.

Reply to
DIMwit

"Bob Pietrangelo" wrote

That's fine. So he should stick to answering questions about that. That's what we've said all along to him, but he's as thick as a brick.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Bubbs your like that piece of toilet paper that won't fall off...HAHAHA you are obssesed with me :)

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for your input, Dido.

The furnace has a hot element ignitor.

The static reaches a blazingly fast crescendo which I'm fairly sure is not part of a cyclical control feedback loop. BUT, I will replace the battery in the thermostat, just in case. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass!

Knowing that the capacitor is used all the time is helpful. If no one has a better idea, I will be changing the capacitor soon. Do you think I could use the capacitor from an old microwave I have, as a temporary replacement to see if the capacitor is the problem? It is a lot bigger so I would imagine that its capacity will be greater. I would guess that that wouldn't hurt. I can provide you with the exact specifications, if necessary. I for sure don't want to burn out the motor.

I will be sure to ground the capacitor before I work on it, if you tell me that I don't have to worry about damaging the motor or other electronics by doing that. I could, of course, CAREFULLY disconnect the leads to the capacitor before I grounded the capacitor terminals.

Sincerely, BlackHawk

Reply to
BlackHawk96

Thanks for your input, Jake.

I must be misunderstanding you here. Are you saying that wire nuts are NOT an acceptable method of connecting conductors?! They are in my electrical code.

Secondly... I don't really

Sort of. It's actually a #14 bare wire in 14-2 metal cable feed from the furnace switch that is connected to the green stranded pigtale in the connection box on the furnace.

Proper grounding means a Green ID'd wire coming from your primary

Around here, residential grounding is always done using a bare ground wire in the cable. The only place I've ever seen a green ground wire is in a fixture or an appliance. Never seen green in solid wire cables, only in extensiion cords. Stranded green ground wire fished through conduit might be used in unusual cases.

Then, every raceway and metal contacting the unit is 'bonded'

To settle the grounding issue once and for all, I ran a grounded extension cord from the panel outlet to the furnace burner fan ground lug. This made absolutely no difference in the static.

Sincerely, BlackHawk

Reply to
BlackHawk96

Deffinatly not! capacitor must match value of one that is on the unit presently

I have, as a temporary

Reply to
DIDO

SNIP

Thanks for the advice, DIDO.

I have another furnace which is a year younger, with a different control board. If the capacitor on that unit is identical, I will use it for the test.

Sincerely, BlackHawk

Reply to
BlackHawk96

Why don't you quit f****ng with stuff you don't understand and get it fixed by a pro?