Radio interference from Bryant hi-ef furnace.

Hi Group, I'm hoping that someone will have some idea of what is most likely causing radio interference every time my Bryant hi-ef gas furnace lights up. When I first noticed it about a month ago the pronounced static would last for about 5 seconds. Now it's more like 30 seconds. I replaced the ignitor, and that wasn't it. The big capacitor is my next guess. Any thoughts from you experts will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
BlackHawk96

Replace the big capacitor. Then replace the thermostat. The diodes have probably gone bad. Make sure to run new low voltage wiring to sync up with the new stat. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Sounds like the choke coil has failed.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Sounds like your the choke pro oscar!....Take the c*ck out of your mouth ...easier to breathe!

HAHA

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

Thank you, Bubba, for your advice. I really appreciate your insight.

Do you think it would be okay if I replace just hte big capacitor to start with? Or is replacing the stat a manadatory part of the fix?

Sincerely, BlackHawk

Reply to
BlackHawk96

Thank you, Oscar, for your thought. I really appreciate your insight.

Could you please describe what the choke coil looks like, and where it would most likely be located?

Sincerely, BlackHawk

Reply to
BlackHawk96

Blackhawk,

First off, don't listen to bubba or oscar. They are both playing with you. We call those 2, trunk slammers in the trade. Incompetent, non-professionals!

I would contact Bryant with the model, see if there is any reported problems. You need a model, series, product and serial number to get precise info.

Could be the board itself. There have been several revisions. I have seen wifi routers that cause a furnace to lockout. Had an old limit control that would "chatter" and cause interference with the TV.

Can you tell when the interference starts, relative to your furnace operation? Try to watch the sequence and see when exactly it happens.

What capacitor? The fan motor capacitor? I don't see how a capacitor or an igniter could do that...

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

It's in Oscars hand. :o)

-zero

Reply to
-zero

I recall this discussed before, don't remember the final answer.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

BlackHawk96 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In case you didn't get it, he's mocking you. Telling someone to "replace the thermostat" or "install new low voltage wiring" passes for humor among a portion of the hvac elite. It's like asking the new guy to go get the wire stretcher or the left handed screwdriver.

Some of these guys take it personally that you are going anywhere near your furnace without paying dues to the hvac priesthood. Whaddya gonna do? It's Usenet.

Reply to
Pinko Flaggo

Yeah, like someone needs to listen to a parts changing hack like you Canuck. Its the flux capacitor you moron. Dont you know anything. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Do I have to do everything?

Oscar_Lives

Thank you, Canadian Heat, for your feedback. I really appreciate your insight.

Your suggestion to contact the mfr makes perfect sense. The radio interference is so bad that it almost totally overcomes the signal around 970 am, which is a weak channel to begin with. The intensity of the interference is similar to a bell-shaped curve. So I will take a portable radio with me to correlate it with the furnace cycle. Hopefully Carrier will have some answers for me.

Arcing generates a lot of electromagnetic energy. That is why I suspected the ignitor. If it were "letting go", it might be arcing. That same logic would include the capacitor (I think it is the fan motor capacitor). Here again your idea about the timing cycle is invaluable.

Sincerely, BlackHawk

Reply to
BlackHawk96

The Canuck invaluable? HaHaHa. Now Ive heard everything. Happy hunting, BlackHawk. DANgER is kind of the "j*rk-off- poodle-dog" here. Try not to take him too seriously. You could get hurt and cost yourself a lot of money with his "witless" advice. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You should always start with radio interference problems establishing that the unit is grounded. It could well be a component, but many circuits count on the ground to shield other circuits from RFI.

Also, don't count on the installer as having grounded the unit. I had to tell mine to do so even though the installation instructions clearly specified they should do so.

Reply to
Ken

"Hopefully Carrier will have some answers for me." lots luck

Reply to
DIDO

this situation is well documented in the industry. its your inducer motor. btw-the hack from canada wouldnt know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Reply to
gofish

Yup it could be the board too like I said. It is also well documented in the industry.

Ground is definetly important like someone else mentioned. Get on some companies insurance parts plan, then call in for a inducer change...that part could be very exspensive, depending on model if you had to pay.

Glad to see I hurt your feelings too gofish....now you can join the furnace cleaner gang and wish you were me. HAHA

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final Web @

----- ---- -- -

Reply to
Anonymous

The only one that could wish they were you is some bottom feeding sucker fish in a stagnant polluted pond. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

OP,

Trust this info from a guy who deals with power quality, RFI, EMI, and motors a LOT.

Fish is correct... and it IS NOT the board.

The VERY first steps here are to make certain:

  1. The unit is solidly grounded. This is important for a whole range of reasons completely unrelated to RFI... namely your safety.

  1. The inducer motor case, and any associated cable shield, must also be solidly grounded to the unit.

If these two steps don't correct your problem (and they should), a qualified electrician or contractor can install good shielded motor lead cables (first) and then a 'choke' filter if necessary (second).

As Variable speed motors make their way into consumer equipment, we're going to hear more about this problem. There have been several complaints made to the FCC that, upon further investigation, turned out to be grounding issues.

Poor installation practice (like bad or no grounding) rears its ugly head with VS installs.

Jake

Reply to
Jake