keeping a air handler clean

Well My central air conditioner installation is complete, for the last 5 yrs I had a ductless air conditioner, it was a headache from the second year on, always needed a technician every season to either recharge it and repair a leak. there was one pain with it. it was the long small diameter squirrel type blower, and I had to clean it every month during the cooling season, it would build up crud and I had to clean in between the cage blades, are these common problems with central systems with the air handler in the attic, what are some ideas to keep the unit clean and running efficient. any tips to keep it in tip top shape would be very helpful.

Reply to
Chet

How do you service an air filter ? I thought you just threw them out ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

Pleated filters, change as needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had my best luck over the years with a deep pleated mechanical filter (the 8-9" type), like an Air Bear or Space-Guard, and pull the return air from off or at the ceiling. Low wall returns are super dirt-suckers, like under your fridge.

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Oh Wow! I don't think you really want to know how they service them. You know that Tom Cat or dirty socks odor ? ;-p

Reply to
Alexander

You put them in "DISHWASHER" I thought you just threw

Grumpy