HELP: Payne status codes question

Page 1 of 2

HELP ...
I am trying to troubleshoot a Payne furnace problem and I'm almost ready to call a service tech but will try this newsgroup first:
background:
1. furnace sat for almost a year, installed new in 1998 2. I lit the furnace about 2 weeks ago when service was turned on 3. electrician (non-licensed) has been rewiring the house, replacing old "tube and knob" wiring. 4. furnace and thermostat ran fine for 2 weeks 5 furnace no longer lights or heats. 6. furnace circuit to box was replaced with new wire to 20amp breaker
What I've done:
1. replaced thermostat 2. checked continuity of thermostat wires (OK) 3. replaced HSI because sanding on old one cracked it (I was warned) 4. component test jumper wire between COM and TEST shows continuous LED according to front panel this means: "Control has 24V power" 5. the 3amp fuse link is still good 6. checked hot wire (115V) and ground wire (no current)
Q: what the heck does that mean - what does it indicate? just that 24V is going to the board? Status OK? Q: how do I test the breaker itself; was not a new one but I'm getting 115V at the black wire feeding the board Q: if I inadvertently swapped the red and white wires from thermostat to board would this matter? (2-wire thermostat) Q any way to test the board?
When I turn on the pilot control and feed power to the appliance, then turn up the thermostat I get continuous LED "control has 24V power"
Suggestions for anything else I can test?
thanks in advance for any free advice,
Michael
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:56:48 GMT, M Kirkpatrick

    No. Go to alt.home.repair.

    Your sanity, for messing around with it.

    You're welcome.
the cancelling cat diddler speaks
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

All,
This is the first chance to turn this group from a spwtic tank to a place of help.
The answer could be: You shouldn't mess with this man....
It could be check this, or that.
As long as the answer treats the poster with the dignity he deserves as a human, all is good.
Turtle? Mike?
Matt Morgan wrote:

I am not a turd chaser, what is spwtic?
Why should I help a HO for free? No one paid my dues but me.
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:56:48 GMT, M Kirkpatrick

keep f*cking with something you have absolutely no knowledge about. Maybe you'll get lucky and burn your house down, or worse yet, kill yourself and your family. Hint: call someone trained on repairing gas furnaces. Most especially after a brain-dead electrician has re-wired the 120 volts to it.
I see now.
M Kirkpatrick; disregard this post.
Both you and I have been taken by another of PJM's minions.
No matter.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:29:04 GMT, "Matt Morgan"

HAHAHAHAHAHA Gawd-dang Matt, are you ever wet behind the ears. A PJM minion. ROFLMAO
Let me repeat myself in case you failed to hear the first time:
alt.hvac IS NOT FOR HOMEOWNERS
what part of that do you fail to comprehend?
If Joe Homeowner wants to post his "please help me my furnace is broke" crap in here, I figure he's fair game.
I'm all for helping a homeowner or anyone else that is asking for generic information, but wiring up a new thermostat or fixing their own broken furnace/ac crap, all bets are off.
You have stated your agenda is cleaning up alt.hvac. the very first plank on your platform better be informing ALL HOMEOWNERS to take their posts to an appropriate forum, such as alt.home.repair.

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:53:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

    I've always thought of you as a minion, Fish ..... :-)

`His only agenda is to make an asshole out of himself until he sobers up and finds a new job.
    He thinks he's a 'big man' now, he doesn't realize he's still a crying little girl in wet panties.
    He confuses my boredom with bitch-slapping him with an inability to do so. Silly little girl.
So. we continue to see the same behavior:
1: PJM, who is incompetent; states he has kill filled me; and continues to reply to me.
2: GoFish, who is another paul sock puppet; who I suspect is actually Bill.... supporting whatever PJ says.
And so, at this point not too much has actualy changed, except PJ has called out his emergency reserves.
PJ - your days here are numbered, and dwindle by the minute.
Botom line is you couldn't diagnose or fix an HVAC issue any more than you could debug a 1982 basic program.
Prepare yourslef PJ. As you pull each 'trick' out of your hat, you reveal a deeper level of the scum you really are.
But you knew that, didn't you?