Payne furnace

--Payneful furnace--

-------------------------------------

Our Payne gas furnace has developed a frustrating habit of turning off whenever the temperature drops, usually below freezing. The thermostat still reads 'heating,' but the blower and all sense of life is out. We reset it by turning off the power, draining the line, waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on, and 100% of the time it restarts immediately.

The service man cleaned off some residue around the ignitor and had us raise the exhaust pipe outside a bit, but no change. Now they just want to start randomly replacing parts to see if anything fixes it.

Anyplace best to start? He didn't think there could be any water in the system or that cleaning our vents would help, but that was our best guess.

Thanks.

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 338844 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
3point141592

Undoubtely, payne in buttocks. So it is a condensing furnace, huh? I heard they do suck and cause PAYNE

Reply to
daszkiew2000

Hmmm, What is diagnotic trouble code? Watch the LED light blinking on the contro9l board.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Maybe you need a new service company. I'd start by calling Payne to see if you can talk to one of their engineers. Or the dealer should be doing that.

By draining the line, I assume you mean the condensate line. I'd probably start with the pump, and any switches or related controls that can cause a stop of the system. Since it is temperature related, it may be getting an overload of condensate under very cold conditions.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why isn't the line draining itself?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Get a pro that knows your unit, you dont want a hack that guesses and replaces parts.

Reply to
ransley

Outside tank? Your fuel is gelling. Get a can of fuel oil conditioner (or diesel conditioner) and add it to the tank. Make sure your filter is fresh, and DO check for water.

Also check for any minor leak in the fuel line, which will draw air if the fuel gells or the filter is restricted. The lines MUST be ONE HUNDRED PERCENT leak free. If you can smell furnace oil anywhere, it is not "good enough"

You COULD also have a bad pump.

Reply to
clare

OOOPS!! You said GAS - I was thinking oil.

Disregard the previous post.

Reply to
clare

From what you describe, it needs a much better drain line system. Of course, I could be stating the blindingly obvious.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reading comprehension - zero - it's a gas furnace.

Reply to
Bob F

This thing - the line you drain. Is that the condensate line? Is the pump failing to pump it out? If so, there is a switch in the pump that disables the furnace if the water reservoir doesn't empty. Fix or replace the pump. I've seen multiple failures of the float switch in one model of these pumps.

Reply to
Bob F

I hate to say this;

But Tony is correct. Find out what the error code is on the control board. [When you power off - you're resetting the computer and losing the information.] Find out by reading the error code blinks on the LED, then, diagnose the problem from there the next time it fails[finding out why the error.]

Reply to
Zyp