Wind Chimes

Page 1 of 3
I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what they are called. Can anyone help me?
Thanks a bunch
Broom Hilda
opined:

There are wind chimes which have a certain resonance in their tone. They aren't tuned in the way a guitar is tuned, but are placed with other lengths of whatever the chime is made of to produce a melodic tone in conjunction with the other notes of the chimes. The larger the chimes, the deeper the tones. I made my own using copper pipe. I used 1.5" pipe cut at different lengths. I don't know if mine are "tuned" to be harmonic or not, but they don't sound like those annoying tinkly small ones.
Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like they have an organ in the background. thank you again.
Pixi alias Broomhilda

aren't
with the

I made

don't
those
Yes, chimes, bells, gongs and such are all used in monastic life to represent the vibration of the universe. They represent causation and affliction in that when they touch, they make a noise.
Some day I will get a large gong. By large, I mean about 24 inches.
Victoria
opined:

"...Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like they have an organ in the background. thank you again.........." Well , are you going to share the site?
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Hahaha...in your wet dreams! ;)

I don't have wet dreams. I have a 42 year old husband!

I also used copper piping that you can buy at a hardware store (the heavier 1" pipe used for plumbing) and made windchimes. A 10' piece cost almost nothing and a little pipe cutter was just a few dollars if that. They are very easy to use and give a nice cut. Use sandpaper to smooth the edges. My son who a musician said to just make them 1" difference in length and that worked well for me. I then drilled a hole 1" from the top to run a nylon string through. The only hard part was getting the hole symetrically straight. It would have been nice to have had a drill press rather than judging by eye.
DKat

what
They
of
tones.
like
rec.ponds been talking about wind chimes like this.. they are tuned to "winchester" and other sets of specific tones. you might want to check past messages for rec.ponds and wind chimes. Ingrid

Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall & rustling leaves & water features.
When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of ugly-ass chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make themselves a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot dead by their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse buried under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the broken-down porch of the chimester's trailer house.
-paghat the ratgirl
snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) writes in article
-0800:

Don't sugar-coat it, Paghat. Tell us how you really feel! :^)
Not all neighborhoods are quiet, and some people prefer to add man-made art to nature.
To answer the OP's question about tuning, yes, all good wind-chimes are tuned. Each chime in the set should resonate in some way with the other chimes. Bring a stringed-instrument musician shopping with you; they can tell you if two notes resonate because you have to have this skill in order to tune a guitar or violin.
And if you get more than one set, they should either be tuned to each other (highly unlikely) or hung out of earshot from each other.
-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
I have chimes that sound like church bells....so relaxing and beautiful. BUT, they are in my shed because I thought to myself not everyone might think they are so nice. And on a windy day they might be down right annoying. I wish I could figure out how to keep them quiet, still hung, and only have them chime when I'm in the mood---on a summer day while reading in my hammock.
Bonnie

and
in
How about a rubber band around them so the tubes can't bang against one another.
Hound Dog
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:46:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote:

damnation.............i thought i was the only one that got annoyed at the things banging and clanking all day and night! especially the clay one that clank
one time, on a beautiful snowy night with a light breeze, silent night, holy nights, i got so pissed off at a pile of junk shattering the tranquility, that i jumped over the neighbors fence and cut all the wires on all the pieces of the chime and piled them up at their sliding deck door, they must have gotten the message, peace reigned
bill

broken-down
And I guess if their dog was barking, you'd jump the fence and do him in as well. Did you ever consider telling them it was annoying and ask them to take it down before you trespassed and destroyed private property? And why do you think your desire/right for peace and quiet supercedes theirs for what they obviously considered an appealling ornament hanging on THEIR property? If you pulled that stunt with me, I'd promptly go out and buy a dozen of the biggest, loudest freaking windchimes I could find and hang them from every corner and then set up fans to blow them around just in case there wasn't enough wind. And I don't even care about the things one way or the other, but I'd sure as hell be pissed if YOU decided to do something about 'em without even the simple courtesy of asking first.
at 11:30 at night it is easier to do what has to be done than to ask permission
and i certainly agree that whatever gives you pleasure in your space is fine with me
when it intrudes into my space you have lost control of your pleasure and intruded on mine
not everyone like vanilla ice cream or the scent of channel # 5
so if you like that, fine
but why should i have to like it too, especially if i have an allergic reaction to it and will be in great discomfort if forced to taste, hear, or smell it?
bill
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:35:08 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"

snipped-for-privacy@nwlink.com writes:

and easier still to just take the chimes down and lay them on the ground where they won't ring. Then talking to your neighbors the next day.
We have windchimes, but of the tuned and fairly long (ie low notes) type.
For me, they help mask the more unpleasant noises of the neighborhood.
I've asked my immediate neighbors and told them to let me know if it bothers them. (Mind you, if the one who lets her dogs yap at all hours (including 4 in the mourning (sic)) tells me, i'll have a counter offer ready. ;)
I *have* silenced them on particularly windy nights. (banded or taken down)
and no, paghat, we don't have drug dealing teenagers, or live in a trailer.
--
be safe.
flip

as
them
or
Jeez, did you ever strike a nerve! I would take a whole yard full of wind chimes in our neighbor's yard compared to one yapping (screaming), little dog that never quits. These new neighbors put the beast out on a chain in the morning when they go to work and don't take it in until they return home in the afternoon. I can't work in the yard during the day without the thing driving me crazy nor open a windows without being invaded by its noise.
We recently politely asked the neighbor if he would do something about its constant screaming and made some suggestions about collars or training. He became belligerent and yelled at us because we came into his yard to complain about his dog and told us he would make his dog stop barking with the barking bothered him.
The city has ordinances about noisy animals, but the county area were we live has none. The thought about jumping over the fence (actually a gully divides our property) and doing it in has occurred to me! :) Any worthwhile suggestions are welcome........
John

A dog that yipes day & night will first earn the owner citations & fines -- you should talk to both the police & to animal control about your options. If more than one neighbor is harrassed by the miserable dog & you unite in reporting misbehavior, it will be taken more seriously by the law. In most cities, after an initial couple of fines, if it continues, the dog will be taken away from owners who haven't sense enough to train it. As no one is apt to want to adopt a grown animal that obnoxious, it will be destroyed. So in fact no one has to jump over the fence to kill it as Pam speculates -- the system destroys that kind of dog all the time -- which is sad, but it is the fault of the sort of moron who keeps an untrained dog -- OR a shitload of banging clanging windchimes!
The owner of such a dog IS an evil person not only for annoying the neighbors by raising such an unhappy demented animal, but also for putting the animal itself at risk. The owner of nuisance wind chimes is SLIGHTLY less evil merely because the destruction of said chimes will be a meritorious act rather than an unfortunate end to a life. I agree with Pam only insofar as I do believe the bad dog owner, like the bad windchime owner, are pretty close parallels, they're both appalling people. But baring in mind you may have to live next door to the chime or dog owning loon a long long time, perhaps the problem can be remedied by being very kind & helpful in suggesting said loon commits suicide so that everyone ends up happy.
-paghat the ratgirl