tuned sow's ear

Two days ago I finished tuning up an old Stanley 120--about 6 hours, over 2 or 3 days, to flatten the sole and iron, clean, oil, polish and sharpen: an exercise to hone my fettling skills, without much expectation (based on extensive "Stanley B&G" reading).

But...I like it! I like the size and weight, and I really like the ease of adjusting the blade depth--just move the lever. I used it today for smoothing exposed end grain on some T&G fir flooring for the front porch I'm re-building. Regardless of Patrick Leach's low opinion (which I generally respect) of this admittedly cheap plane, I'm tickled. Granted, I'll probably only use it for carpentry, not cabinetry, but the darn thing is pretty good. It'll go in my carpentry box, sure to become a handy user.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

That sounds really cool. I love the simplicity of tools like that, I bought an old 110 on eBay myself but haven't tuned it yet. It is good to hear that it works well. Stanley still makes the 12-247, same general design and new they are around $16, but I would rather have the oldies. The 110 does not have a lever blade adjuster.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

good one. have fun.