Wind Chimes

chimes.

  1. Never-ending barking dogs.
  2. Boom-boxes with the volume and bass set way too high.
  3. Bouncing basketballs.
  4. Neighbors that permit the first three to happen and don't seem to care how much their neighbors are bothered.

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

Here you are. Don't forget to listen to them.

Reply to
Broomhilda

What a wonderful mind you have. Ever think of taking up writing for a living? I think you would probably outsell Stephen King.

Reply to
Broomhilda

Thanks to everyone who answered. There are windchimes and then there are windchimes. Some do jangle the nerves.

However, I live about 1000 feet from my nearest neighbor and I doubt if a truly melodious chime will bother them.

If it does my neighbor will no doubt set up a pig sty on the windward side of me as he frequently threatens.

Reply to
Broomhilda

prozac for dogs, it's herbal I'm told by my vet who suggested it for Sugar to calm her down while I was gone since she has such seperation anxiety when we're all gone (that and I now put her in a crate until Mike gets home or me and lets her out......until she gets the message that she can't rip things up when we're all gone, that's where she'll go when we're all gone. Eventually I was told she'll also associate this as her safe place.......) MY luck she will continue to come to me with tail tucked under in "I've been a baaaad dawg Ma" despite that she's in the crate. Mike said she refused to eat yeasterday but stayed right up under him the whole time after he got home. She thinks she's been bad (she has, but she really doesn't know) and is associating the crate with something her little dawg brain can't quite grasp.

Reply to
John Catron

Fortunately there are only 2 sets of windchimes within hearing district. This is (the far edge of) the Garden District and one set belongs to the next-door rectory, the other to a low-key lesbian couple two doors down. I doubt anyone would dare tell "Father Pat" that they didn't like his wind chimes (the church bells are much louder, but still pleasing) and the average inhabitant may well cross himself passing the house with the rainbow banner. I enjoy hearing all the bells out in my garden, but I wouldn't want "a tinntinnabulation of wind chimes" to infest the block. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Different strokes. I don't happen to have or care for wind chimes at my house, but next door neighbor has one with gentle bell-like tones. It's quite pleasant to hear on a breezy day. *Considerably* more enjoyable than blue jays or squirrels yelling at each other. Wind chimes in gardens have a long history, and are by no means chosen exclusively by trailer park dwellers.

Reply to
Frogleg

That's a bit harsh, paghat, did you have a bad day?

I also would rather hear most of the wonderful sounds of nature, but I'd rather hear a wind chime then buses, cars, lawn mowers, weedwackers, neighbors arguing, children shrieking, dogs barking, or many of the other local noises that drown out my chirping birds. 10

- 60 wind chimes may be a bit much, but 1 will make a nice sound near the patio.

Swyck

Reply to
Swyck

and easier still to just take the chimes down and lay them on the ground where they won't ring. Then talking to your neighbors the next day.

We have windchimes, but of the tuned and fairly long (ie low notes) type.

For me, they help mask the more unpleasant noises of the neighborhood.

I've asked my immediate neighbors and told them to let me know if it bothers them. (Mind you, if the one who lets her dogs yap at all hours (including 4 in the mourning (sic)) tells me, i'll have a counter offer ready. ;)

I *have* silenced them on particularly windy nights. (banded or taken down)

and no, paghat, we don't have drug dealing teenagers, or live in a trailer.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

I agree with all but #3, bouncing basketballs don't strike me as a big noise, & the general noisy mayhem of children screaming & playing games has always seemed to me rather pleasant, & usually transient even when kids get a bit out of hand. But surprisingly basketball hoops attached to garages are banned in quite a few intrusive rule-making neighborhoods, & in some areas of dense housing there is rigorous police enforcement against free-standing street-hoops so that basketball is de facto banned due to no legal location for hoops. But to me the bigger issues in such cases would be the lack of nearby places for children to play legally, & the tragedy of such overcrowded housing developments -- atop which the banning of idle play is a monstrous thing, though certainly common so it would seem many agree with you.

#1 & #2 however are certainly bad things, so much so that #1 is illegal in just about every municipality in the USA with fines attached & a legal mechanism for eventually having the dog taken away if the problem is not resolved by the dog owner. #2 would be illegal at night in nearly all municipalities, but more difficult to regulate during daylight hours.

It's a happy wonder that my own neighborhood has only well-behaved dogs (occasional poo in my gardens doesn't annoy me, & in general I like the doggies), well-behaved children who are true joys to have wandering through, & in the main well-behaved homeowners. Even the block's one canterkerous old coot has more good than bad in his nature, & is only occasionaly a noisy fellow screaming dirty words at his deaf old dog. But I lived most of my adult life inner city, & I remember what it was like to have some dumbass teenager sitting in his car with its booming stereo system blasting for hours at a time & his own parents so scared of their kid they daren't tell him he's being rude. In those days I wished I lived on a mountain somewhere where I couldn't hear anyone at all in the world, but then I'd visit a chum at her mountain home on ten acres & all day long had to listen to the chainsaw on the next ten acres over, from a neighbor who even put up a hideous soda lamp to glare across his clear-cut field destroying any hope of a forest having a night. It's a wonder to me that humans actually are tribal or pack-animals by nature, since we get on so poorly with one another, & so frequently make bad neighbors harrassing others by nuisance behaviors.

-paggers

Reply to
paghat

In article , "Broomhilda" wrote:

No one outsells Stephen King. Though you may not have meant that, in fact Stephen's a pal; he wrote a generous introduction for one of my books years ago. That was an anthology of new writers & when I told Stephen these unheard-of folks would not be easy sales on the strength of their names, he lent his, writing a long juicy introduction commenting on each tale. This insured that the volume became a bestseller on genre lists, which in turn made it easy to sell a second volume. That's old history now, & a few of those then-new writers have gone on to great success, others have never been heard of since. More recently: at start of this month I sold a tale called "A Bottle of Egyptian Night" to a major anthology; I had a collection of my own tales issued in December by a Canadian publisher as THE DEEP MUSEUM; & I have my own edited-series called "Grim Maids," collections of Victorian women's supernatural tales (volume 5 appeared last November as THE EMPIRE OF DEATH, complete weird tales of Alice Brown, with my monograph on her life & works for introduction; & will turn in a new volume within a couple weeks after a final revision of the long introduction, that one'll be issued as THE DREAMS OF GHOSTS, complete supernatural tales of Annie Trumbull Slosson). Then just three weeks ago I was called up by Fox television who want to option an old novel of mine for a mini-series. Productions almost never follow mere options, but I immediately turned the negotiation over to my agent to try to get the most possible for the mere option since odds are against my ever getting anything else out of the deal. Though if I ever do get to see it produced by Fox, woo-hoo! Fox's vice-pres asked me to imagine Lucy Lu starring, so even as "just talk" this has been a bit of a thrill.

Even with some slightly noticeable success, however, it's a stupid way to try to make a living, & it has made me the opposite of rich -- though at least I've not had to have any boss but myself for a couple of decades.

-paggers

Reply to
paghat

One not too loud & bongy chime is not the same as those loons who collect them for all over their porch & on all sides of their houses.

The only noise I ever made that annoyed a neighbor was when a corner of the deck's roof rattled in high winds. The neighbor came over with ladder, drill, & bucket of screws, & asked if he could climb up there & fix it, & said thanks yes.

-paggers

Reply to
paghat

Normally I would agree. Not with the shot dead part, but that may be your sense of humor, I can't tell.

Today I saw a set of chimes which were 10 feet long, 6" wide and were 6 different lengths. It was the MOST wonderful sound I've heard a chime set make. It was much more like a gong and it vibrated for almost 5 minutes after I rang them. I could actually feel the vibrations.

Now, those idiotic tinkly ones you buy for a dollar, or anything that tings instead of resonates is crap. With that I will agree.

The chimes I saw today were two thousand dollars. Hardly ugly-ass chimes and one will serve the county.

animaux

My Grandfather was nearly deaf. He had several wind chimes given to him as gifts. I was amazed at the volume of the things when I stayed there a couple of nights and I was glad to leave. He was clueless about their annoyance value. Anyone have any experience with electronic dog bark preventers that output some sound unpleasant to the dog when it barks?

Reply to
H Hornblower

So, under what name are your books published?

I don't know Stephen King although my best friend lives close to him. I think Stephen King is a great writer but I don't read him anymore. I don't like his subject matter.

Reply to
Broomhilda

This site has some nice chimes. Our local nursery had some for sale at Christmas time that were from this company and they sounded very nice. I still prefer my bamboo chimes though.

MLW

I know the idiot wouldn't consider Prozac because he doesn't consider the yapping any of our business, and he's gone when the beast does most of its screaming. Maybe I should get a Prozac prescription for myself and learn to ignore the miserable dog. :)

John

Reply to
B & J

Why not a "Mono chime" just the one pipe and nothing else for those that like a quiet garden.

Wonder if anyone has tried an Aeolian harp in the garden?

Reply to
David Hill

I have a Tritronics Bark Limiter for my dog when he occasionally won't shut up. It is an electronic zapper though, not they type you mentioned. Bonnie

Reply to
BonnieJean

So you don't require silence, but merely sound that suits *your* tastes and in the concentration and volume you enjoy. Some like the sound of children at play; others don't. Some would be delighted to have a string quartet playing in the garden next door; others (it seems) would leap over a fence to take a chainsaw to a cello.

As for multiple sets of windchimes, didja ever see 'Body Heat' (Kathleen Turner, William Hurt)? The behavior, ahem, wasn't exemplary, but the movie *wasn't* set in a trailer park. :-)

It is unfortunate that we can't all live with precisely the conditions we prefer, and without any sort of intrusion from other people. Communities, municipalities, and states enact ever more regulations to declare what is and isn't acceptable. I understand there are many places where you can't hang laundry on a back yard clothesline because it's an "eyesore." Some areas restrict the colors which may be used painting a house. Most non-rural areas have anti-noise regs based (usually) on decibel level, but if you want your house and garden to be entirely free of unwanted noise, insulate, put up a noise-baffling fence, or move to the middle of 5 acres where no human presence will intrude. Neighbors' outdoor parties have kept me awake, but I figure a little celebration from time to time isn't lethal. I don't *know* what I'd do if a low-decibel wind chime were driving me mad. Probably try to ignore it first, and maybe speak to the neighbor, and/or try to find a more musical/tolerable version to give them. It's *such* a small thing.

Reply to
Frogleg