Will you be gardening 10 years from now?

Page 2 of 4
ImbecileChris wrote:

You forgot 'accurate', IMBECILE! LOL-LOL
Add pictures here
✖
On May 30, 4:24 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Please remember to take the blue pill in the morning and the pink pill in the evening.
NOT the other way around.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖
In article

And now a few sane words.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖
On Mon, 30 May 2011 14:50:53 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Probably. But does that mean we should do nothing? Does it mean we should hold a party for them now?
Are you trying to say something in your pointlessly insulting way or just to be pointlessly insulting without saying anything?
David
Add pictures here
✖
"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

LOL. Fair point.
Add pictures here
✖
FarmI wrote:

and being usenet most of the people who pass on we don't really even know about.
i'm hoping when it is my time that there will be a big worm feast in some hole in the ground someplace with a lilac planted on top (i'm severely allergic). let the buggers have their last laugh tickling my funny bone. :) perhaps i'll sneeze them out of the ground with a good fart or two. the old windbag revenge...
songbird
Add pictures here
✖
On May 30, 10:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Of course they are. Extreme weather by itself is not a problem.
Extreme weather that has become variable IS a problem.

Nope. Extremes of temperature and rainfall are exactly what I had in mind. __________________________________ Gardening in Australia beyond the eastern seaboard fits that description.
Add pictures here
✖

I disagree with your two points on life.
#1 Adopting a positive attitude is a risky game in my book.
Those that think with a positive attitude tend to cut corners where they should not. "Just get it done... And hope for the best". A person with a negative attitude knows things can fail and will try and foresee all negative outcomes and makes the best of it for the money and outcome. Spend some extra time and get it right.
#2 Life does not always find away.
The earth is in sad shape because of reckless human behaviors. People are always putting profit over health and environment.

✖

Being afraid and expecting the worst is no way to go through life.
Somehow, with my basically positive attitude I manage to minimize my impact on the environment and leave the world a little better than I found it.
The earth has a lot of problems, but in my short life I've seen Blue Claws return to the Hudson. My neighborhood (NJ) is crawling with deer, I see foxes, wild turkeys, bears. There was a coyote in Manhattan a while back.
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖

I am not afraid at all... I just do not trust others to make good decisions. I will try and protect myself from others overly optimistic views. I too try to minimize my impact on the earth and others, but it is not easy by any means.
I see deer overpopulation as a negative impact on the environment. I too have foxes and turkeys in my neighborhood also. Frogs seem to be disappearing and I do not see as many good bugs like praying mantis and stick bugs.

✖

Poor bastard. I guess that means that rat is the low hanging fruit in Do-Wa-Ditty.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True
✖
On May 30, 5:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

You see deer because of bad land management practices and the elimination of predators.
Wild turkeys have been introduced to many areas.
Black bears are extremely versatile animals. When you see them in human-inhabited areas, it means they do not have sufficient wild area for them to establish a territory.
Ditto, coyotes.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖

Yep, that is how I see it. He sees this as Positive Thinking attribute.... see the good! Positive thinkers are short sighted.

✖

I hate the deer. But the land is healthy enough to support a load of them and we aren't hunting them to extinction.

Not here. They're back because there are ecosystems that can support them. And we aren't hunting them to extinction.

No, they're doing so well in the wild areas that they overflow into human inhabited areas. And we aren't hunting them to extinction.

--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖

NO, they are breading because it illegal to shoot the does in numbers, a bad management policy. I have had two deer hits with my truck that has cost me and the insurance company lots of money.The only predator they have are humans... I say bring back the panthers and wolves in your back yard to bring nature back in balance. Also deer are not native to America.

They breed turkeys and pheasants here in Michigan also. They DNR also breeds fish for the great lakes. Without breeding it is estimated the great would have no fish in just five years or less.

Black bears are not doing well here also. Those Asians want big bucks for bear's liver as an aphrodisiac. So the poaching is devastating them.
Please enlighten me with more positive views... Pathetic...

✖
On Mon, 30 May 2011 20:35:12 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

You are so gloomy, I bet your glass is always less than half empty and you would be shocked if it got half full.
A person with a

This is where your sour view disables you. This is a non sequitur. There is no incompatibility between a positive attitude and using foresight, planning and risk assessment. There is incompatibility between a negative attitude and harnessing your maximum energy to take the necessary action that your planning tells you is required.

Short of a planet-cracking bolide life will endure, even then some microbes might make it to start all over again.
The challenge in front of us is to find a way to endure that will minimise death and pain.

That is true but it points to the solution: humans must fix what they carelessly put at risk. Hiding away and saying "oh woe is us" will not get it done.
David
Add pictures here
✖

Not only is the glass ( Earth ) is half empty with good ideas it is polluted and leaking also. I say stop humans from breeding like rats... But others believe this is a negative view, I say it is positive view.

How does this disable one? I disagree with your presuppositions on incompatibility and foresight. I see a lot of people with positive attitudes taking the primrose path to solving problems. Many just get plain lucky. If It fails, we will fix it and fix it and fix it... As things keep getting worse and worse.

Now who is thinking negatively! Minimize death and pain? Not improving life and longevity? Hmmmmm......

Cool, you keep on fixing those nuclear power plants in Australia. Me I say get rid of them. But those with positive attitudes say "We can fix it". Yea right.

✖
On Tue, 31 May 2011 02:09:20 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

Many environmental problems will be solved or at least ameliorated if we can limit population growth. Short of the Chinese solution that isn't going to happen quickly.

Because you cannot get people to do something they believe is impossible and you cannot get them to work their hardest if they don't see a positive outcome at some time now or in the future.
Positive feelings don't allow you to do things that are physically impossible but they a degree of faith allows you to get towards doing your best. This is the basis of sport psychology, any kind of leadership and one of the better aspects of religion. It is a question of motivating people, you cannot motivate people well if they feel hopeless.

You need rationality to make good decisions and optimism to act.

This is playing with words. I never said there are no unfortunate or undesirable things happening in the world. My optimism is that we can do something about them. This doesn't mean the future is rosy (it isn't) it means a partial solution is better than none.

We don't have any nuclear power plants. The attitude you refer to is optimism without rationality, I never suggested that, please don't put words in my mouth.
If the way you defend it says anything I don't think your dour world view is of a very rational origin. Anyway I don't want to get too personal so let's not go any further in that direction.
✖

That sort of 'leadership' approach has always given me a case of the squits. I never watch team sports because of all that jolly hockey sticks coaching stuff which makes me want to gag. Such an approach doesn't allow for more than one mode of motivation and I believe that individuals can be motivated by many and varied techniques/approaches. Give me a rationale rather than that warm and fuzzy fluff stuff.
Add pictures here
✖

I am no team sport fan and the rah rah stuff is no good to me personally but it does work on most people, especially groups of males.
Likewise a leader is no use to me unless I have a rational reason for going where they are going but that ought to be part of the package anyway by my definition of good leader.
Forget about my examples, let's go back to the original topic. How are you going to get humanity to change their energy, transport and food systems?
The approach of rational persuasion based on evidence has been a conspicuous failure so far. Why? It has been successfully countered by an irrational denial campaign. Bullshit baffles brains. Or at least has done this far.
Fear will jog people out of their apathy and get things moving. Once you have done that what will motivate them to accept the transitional hardships? Hope for the future. If they feel hopeless they will not act as effectively, it will take longer and the consequences will be harsher.
David
Add pictures here
✖