Leggy Petunia -all growth at end of stems

At FLICKR I have posted a picture of a PETUNIA in a pot which has all growth at end of long bare stems.

all efforts to prune long stems with flowers, I have not succeeded in starting new growth much closer to the beginning of those long stems.

Would appreciate some advise to help promote new growth closer to beginning of stems. Only one tiny new growth occurred on one cut stem.

Think I am watering adequately and feeding properly.

Suggestions please, dave_s

Reply to
dave_s

I cannot really tell, but it looks like you have 2 or 3 petunias in that pot.

Pull them out, along with the soil. Separate the root systems. Put them each into a new pot- remember that clay pots are porous, and if you are in a warm place, the clay will suck water out of the soil. Plastic pots (or old sour cream containers, for that matter) are not as pretty but they are better for plants if you cannot water them twice a day. CUT THEM BACK. Sacrifice the current flowers and cut them back as far as you dare. It is the beginning of summer(assuming you are in the northern hemisphere- you don't provide a location), so you should get awesome blooms for weeks to come. Give them a fertilizer drink. I use Miracle Grow at quarter-strength. Do it as soon as you cut them back and transplant them.

Chris

PS: You should be able to stick the cuttings into water (with a touch of rooting hormone if you have it) to produce new plant.

Reply to
Chris

Are they in full sun?

David Hare-Scott

Yes, they are located in full sun. Located in San Fernando Valley, Southern California, zip code 91402. Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

Chris, I am located in San Fernando Valley, Southern California, zip code

91402. This is a warm location. This Petunia is grown in full sun.

Many thanks for your suggestions to revive this Petunia. I'll change the type pot from clay to plastic.

I sure will try to water root the cuttings. While I do have rooting hormone, I've never dipped cuttings in rootone before rooting in water.

Regards, Dave_S

Reply to
Dave_s