Artemisia getting leggy

I just posted 2 pictures on under this subject title.

They show Artemisia about 3 seasons old, getting leggy and growing a "beard" on lower part of stems.

When I put in the Artemisia, I was warned that pruning would "discourage" or kill it.

Is that advice valid? There must be a way to keep the Artemisia looking healthy.

Any advice welcome.

(also, did I do the .jpg posting correctly? sorta new at this...)

-- Aspasia

Reply to
Aspasia

Sterling

Sunset advises pruning woody Artemisia in the spring, just before new growth begins. You can even cut into old wood to force a complete renovation of the plant.

When you prune, take cuttings to root in a 50-50 mix of peatmoss and coarse sand (NO nutrients added). Of six Artemisia 'Powis Castle', one failed to survive this past spring; and two others were late in showing new growth. I took four cuttings from the three that were thriving. Two rooted. One rooted cutting replaced the plant that died. The other is still in a pot in case I have to replace another one next spring.

Non-woody Artemisia can be cut to the ground in the late fall, to resprout in the spring.

Reply to
David Ross

Thanks for reply. I wish I had my hands around the neck of whoever told me not to cut them back or else they would die!

Since you mention Sunset, I assume you noticed I'm in So. Calif. Coastal. Our "Spring" starts pretty early. Can I cut back those puppies as early as Feb?

Hadn't thought of rooting, but it's a great idea I root a lot of stuff with mostly good luck. Usually take tender little side shoots. Is that what you would do with Artemisia cuttings?

Tx.

Reply to
Persephone

If you are in a frost-free area, you can cut them back in late January. I misread Sunset last year and cut mine back in October, which might explain why half of mine did so poorly (one died).

I'm in the hills just north of the Ventura Freeway, between the San Fernando Valley and Thousand Oaks (off Kanan Rd just north of Agoura Hills). We get frost several nights in a row in December and January with occational frosts as late as early March. The frost disappears as the sun rises. Maybe once in 10-15 years, ice will form in wet spots and remain until afternoon. In the past 32 years here, I saw snow 2-3 times.

Artemisia cuttings root relatively easily for woody plants. They self-layer if a branch touches the ground. I used tip shoots for my cuttings. But then I'm always pinching the tips to keep the plants under control.

Reply to
David Ross

FOLKS PLEASE GO TO THE BOTTOM- I'M ASKING FOR INFO ON ROOTING IN GENERAL - TIP SHOOTS VS SIDE SHOOTS. THANKS! Persephone

NOW he tells me !

But seriously, podner, I much appreciate the details re: your area vs. mine. (For anybody who thinks So. Calif is all one climate, think again. David just posted a cogent explanation of micro-climates.)

Any general opinions on tip shoots vs. small side shoots for rooting? I'm rarin' to go!

Reply to
Persephone